Re: Best Advice For Security System

And I'm sorry to break it to you that conventional alarms are far from "on
their way out". Communications mediums are definately changing, and it will
require some adaptability on the part of our industry, but that is to be
expected. Internet transmission, cellular backup, and video verification
will grow by leaps and bounds, but professional monitoring will only
increase in both strength and importance in our industry. But there are no
real alternatives that are worth anything to having a real person who knows
his job dealing with your alarm, however the transmission medium !
Cellphones, pagers, "dial a neighbour" arrangements just don't cut it to any
thinking person !!

However, to suggest that professional monitoring is going to disappear shows
that you are really not in touch with our industry. The vast majority of
consumers who buy alarms are not going to depend upon "self monitoring" for
their security purposes. That is the domain of people who are quite prepared
to "mickey mouse" their system to save a few bucks, and in the process also
give up their ability to have their system serviced by professionals. Most
intelligent customers only want a fully functional, well installed, well
serviced, dependable, and reasonably priced service, so that they can get on
with other more important things in life. That is the bottom line regardless
of how they buy their system, how they pay for it, and the terms of any
contract that applies.

DIY will always be a part of this industry and all others, but only as a
tiny percentage of the total installed base. I deal daily with emails and
calls from DIY'ers who have encountered nothing but troubles in the process
of installing their alarms, or who have been abandoned by their previous
company when they decide they no longer want the system monitored properly
(they often get my name off this newsgroup actually...) Unfortunately, this
is somewhat of a "closed" industry, and a person who takes on responsibility
for their own service and warranty is at somewhat of a loss. It's not really
very just, but unfortunately that's the way it is !!

This is clearly evident with those monitoring stations who deal in the $9.99
monthly deals direct to consumers. The client does get the freedom of a
lower rate, albeit having to pay quite a large amount up front for the
takeover and the personal visit to do the programming. Plus his service
after that is at the same exhorbitant rates as the nationals, and it is
usually subcontracted out to local companies they can convince to do the
service. No one assumes responsibility for the actual customer installation
and warranty, and that can prove to be a costly consumer mistake !

So the consumer has choices available to him, and that is always how it
should be ! Smart ones don't buy your philosophy or approach...

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com