how to pick a medical alert monitoring service?

I'm looking to get a medical alert monitoring
service for a relative.  I'm primarily interested
in the GE Caregard system.

How do I pick a service?
Given that I can install the Caregard, is there any
reason to have a local service over a national one?

I've been googling for "Caregard monitoring", but
that's going to lead to a decision based on price.
What else should I be considering?

Thanks,
-troy