Re: Devcon Buys Out Coastal Security, Adelphia, & Guardian

Stanley Barthfarkle wrote:
> "R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Damn ! You make so much sense in this post, it's actually scary. And here
> > I thought the newsgroup was going to hell in a handbasket !! I thought I
> > was the only one on the ng that thought that way about the "free systems"
> > and especially about long term contracts when they aren't needed to pay
> > off artificially low up front system prices.
> >
> > Hang on to your hat though; bad vibes are likely coming your way....
> >
> > RHC
>

> Indeed, but the truth shall prevail.

Before you pontificate about what should and shouldn't be charged for
monitoring, you should try to find out what the "average" amount in the
US is, first. In fact, according to most polls, last I heard, it's
about $25.00. I don't know how much the "free" systems higher rates
have on that average, but I know that before the "free systems" plague
hit the industry it was somewhere around $20.00. Now consider that that
is the "average". It's been discussed here in the past and monitoring
rates vary widely from area to area. So by you saying that it "should
be" $15.00 to $20.00 per month, it would probably be wise to qualify
that statement with " in your area"

As far as long term contracts, you can bet that if you're not getting
them you're not doing your customers any favor. You can change there
rates every year. I get a five year contract and don't change rates for
that long. My clients have a choice. Minimum one year contract ......
but the price will likely go up next year or 5 year contract and you
hold the price for 5 years. Very ...... very seldom to I get less than
5 year contract. Good for me. Good for them. Oh and also, when it comes
time to sell your business, I'll match the price that I'll get for my 5
year contracts against what you get for your one year contracts.