Re: NiCE what Honeywell/Ademco has done

thesatguy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On the surface that panel seemed like a good idea but the truth of the
> matter is that a lot of people have trouble locking the deadbolts on their
> doors for a variety of reasons.  In this case if the door swells up a tad
> and you can't get the bolt all the way into the hole your alarm does not
> arm.  Most subs won't even have a clue that their alarm is not working.
>
> Once upon a time all the alarm systems had keys and nobody had any codes to
> forget.
>
> There also weren't any entry/exit delays to cause false alarms or allow
> burglars to steal everything by entering the front door and leave before the
> entry delay expires.
>
> Those were the good ole days.

Yep, the good ole days when alarm systems weren't monitored and an
alarm system bell could ring for a whole week while your customer was
away on vacation. Boy, that's when they REALLY could build a good
quality, long lasting bell.
When batteries went bad and ate the bottom out of the panel.
When end of line batteries were needed but nobody ever remembered to
document where they were located.
When you had to use the nuts off the teminals of the Bright Star #6
batteries as spacers for the Ademco # 39 mag contacts.
When if you dropped a mag switch on the floor you had to throw it away.

When you only had to set a door strike to set your alarm at night but
then had to listen to your bell ring off in the moring when you opened
up, all the while you were trying to fit the stupid round #303 key in
the # 3039 lock.
When you had all twenty seven openings on one zone.
And twenty of the openings were industrial tilt opening factory windows
with either foil or bass wood screens.
There were oxidized bullet contacts and F springs, relays to clean, and
photo electric beams that used automobile headlight bulbs, but drew so
much current they couldn't be run from a dry cell during a power
failure and there was no such thing as a rechargeable standby battery
anyway.
There were shunt locks that required a 100 watt soldering iron to heat
the terminals which STILL wouldn't do anything to help you get all the
strands of wire into the damn hole anyway, To say nothing of melting
the insulation on the wire an inch up, only cured by wrapping black
tape around it. And THEN you rememberd that you didn't put the D ring,
back spacers and the tube on the wire first and had to unsolder it and
start over again.

And then of course we took a giant leap in technology and advaced to
when there were runaway tape dialers that would ring up a $150.00 phone
bill for your customer, over a long weekend, while the police
department had a wanted poster made up with your picture on it.

Yep     Thems sure was the "good ole days"