Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

Stanley Barthfarkle said:

>>What's the minimum guage fire rated wire for a proper fire detection
>>circuit following NFPA specs?
>Usually 18 guage. Might need to be larger guage depending upon length,
>application, and current draw calculations.

Wrong.  The correct answer is 26 gauge, for power-limited circuits.  That's
the minimum, per code.

Don't believe me?  See NEC section 760-82 (and remember the NEC is
published by NFPA):

760.82 Listing and Marking of PLFA Cables and Insulated Continuous
Line-Type Fire Detectors

Type FPL cables installed as wiring within buildings shall be listed as
being resistant to the spread of fire and other criteria in accordance with
760.82(A) through 760.82(H) and shall be marked in accordance with
760.82(I). Insulated continuous line-type fire detectors shall be listed in
accordance with 760.82(J).

(A) Conductor Materials Conductors shall be solid or stranded copper.

(B) Conductor Size The size of conductors in a multiconductor cable shall
not be smaller than 26 AWG. Single conductors shall not be smaller than 18
AWG.

I don't use 26 gauge myself, but it is legal.  Somewhere, people have
gotten the idea that all fire alarm wire has to be red, and that it must be
at least  18 gauge.  Neither is true.

Want to really make your local fire marshal shit green apples?  The NEC
says that Type CM cable is perfectly acceptable as a substitute for FPL.
So the next time you see a waterflow switch wired up with three pair 24
gauge telephone cable -- it's legal!

- badenov