Re: Escalators and elevators

Jim is correct that phones in elevators have been around for years.
What changed the picture was the introduction of the Americans With
Disabilities Act.

Before that Act was passed, local codes dictated whether a phone was
required in an elevator. It varied from city to city. What the ADA
said was IF the local codes required an elevator phone, then that
phone must provide equal access to everyone, including those with
disabilities. That meant that phones with dials, whether rotary or
touch tone had to go because they couldn't be operated by anyone with
a sight impairment. Think about it, you're blind and stuck in an
elevator. How can you dial out?

The next part of the ADA said that the phone couldn't require written
instructions in order for the person to use it. Same reason--for the
vision impaired. Also an important feature if you're in an elevator
during a power failure and can't read the instructions because it's
pitch black.

The ADA also dictated where the phone could be located in the
elevator. In the past, most of these phones were mounted at eye level.
But, if you're in a wheelchair, you can't reach that high. Also, if
the phone had a cord, it had to be of a minimum length so a person in
a wheelchair could use it.

After all these ADA regs came out, manufacturers developed elevator
phones with dialers built in. They operate from a single push button.
The ADA also said that there must be some visual indication that the
emergency call has been received. So manufacturers made provisions to
light a "Call Received" light. That's for hearing impaired users. On
that same issue, the ADA requires a higher minimum volume level that's
beyond most telephones.

Since most elevator occupants don't have a clue what the building
address is, or what elevator cab they are in, the manufacturers
started adding a built in location identifier.

Ultimately, some manufacturers starting including Contact ID format to
handle all the ID information.

So, the bottom line is you cannot use an ordinary telephone with a
dialer and still stay within the ADA requirments.

Since ADA emergency phones have been around for so long, and since
most building owners use them, you open yourself and your customer up
to huge liability issues if you try to skirt the telephone requirments
by using an ordinary telephone.

RickOn 21 Nov 2005 05:58:01 -0800, "Okitoki" <okyaysenturk@xxxxxxxxx>