Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

 Uhhh Excuse me but didn't you just say in another thread:

> "Frankly, I didn't bother to read the rest of your diatribe. I've heard
> it
> before ad nauseum !  And the constant insults just add to the fact that
> you
> are really not worth responding to. It's a free newsgroup ! Say what
> you
> wish; however, your conduct here speaks highly of the worth of your
> input.
> And I care so little about what you think that frankly, responding to
> your
> comments is just not worth the time it takes... "

RHC: Jim, I'll read your posts no matter how long or off topic as long as
they don't begin with personal insults. The ones that do, I just ignore the
balance, which is the case in point with the post you're referring to.
Others I'll respond to whether you and I agree or not. But if you keep
harping on the same stuff in your posts,...well.... I've already said my
piece, and there simply is no use replying, since your constantly harping on
the same points is your attempt to score some sort of "win". I am not here
to compete with anyone in any regard. I find no real reason to defend myself
against your claims, some of which are outrageous. I'll simply explain the
facts and let the reader judge based on those....

  Seems you actually don't remember what you say ...... or if you do
> ........ stick to it. Or is it simply that you only respond to the
> things you can pick and choose because you have no defense for your
> constant offending of other alarm dealers?
>
> And what exactly is it I don't know about? That you don't have a clue
> if you're
> unlocking a board for someone who cheated their alarm company out of
> money due? That you couldn't possibly investigate the source of every
> panel sent to you, to see if you were being lied to about the reason it
> needs to be unlocked?
>
> And if you constantly propose that the locking code be given to the end
> user once they've purchased the equipment, how could  this be an
> accurate statment "in this example" ?

RHC: Again, strange I don't see you railing against the others who unlock
boards. Could it be you just like to pick on the minor points of my posts to
score some kind of point ? I don't and have never proposed giving the end
user the previous installer code that was in the panel. If you take the time
to read and understand my web page on the subject, you will see that the
installer code is NEVER given out under ANY conditions - period. That
belongs to the previous company, and I have no right to reveal it (when I
need to even find it out).  There are legitimate uses for the lockout
feature, and these have nothing to do with the installer code being
available or not. My complaints are ONLY against companies that use the
lockout feature for illegitimate purposes that have more to do with
vindictiveness, or trying desperately to keep a client who wishes to leave
for legitimate reasons...poor service, bad relations...whatever. Thankfully,
these are in the small minority ! But when the panel is paid for, and no
money is due the alarmco, and the board is still locked keeping the end user
from legitimate further use of HIS property, then yes, I'll continue to
object to this practice!

> > And what about the insults that you heap upon ligitimate dealers who
> are simply trying to build equity in thier buiness when you tell end
> users that any contract longer than one month is a rip off by their
> alarm company?

RHC: Jim, I do NOT nor NEVER WILL insult or not support small local dealers.
Small dealers are the lifeblood of this industry and hold 85% of the
business. I too am a small dealer, and hold that this is the best way for
any residential and small business to buy their security services. Your
claim that I think like a large corporate employee is totally without merit.
It's true I've been there, and I totally reject that approach to doing
business. Long ago, when I was in that position, I decided that if I ever
got out of that ratrace, I'd run things my way, not the way that counted
most to the corporate "bean counters" and to hell with the end customer !!
This truly is the most proposterous claim you have ever made ! Just for your
information, I routinely do the following things which I find hard to
understand how anyone could ever interpret as " not supporting small
dealers":

1- I give advice to a lot of small dealers who have no computer skills,
relating to upload and download of their panels. I routinely upload their
client's panels for them if they are unable to do so, or are on site with no
access to local uploading.
2- I often give advice on technical matters to the best of my ability
relating to the two panel lines I know well...DSC and Paradox.
3- I routinely give small companies a "heads up" if I receive calls from
their clients wishing to leave (I wonder if the tables were turned, whether
you'd do the same thing for me...)
4- I link to other dealers on my website who provide either a competitive
service or a complementary one to what I am doing (right Mikey....)
5- I assist other small dealers to do their websites when they are not
conversant in HTML.
6- I routinely unlock boards from dealers I trust for no charge to them
provided their explanation is reasonable.

As far as heaping abuse on other companies for their use of long term
contracts....only when it is not necessary. I recognize that long term
contracts are a solid part of every alarmco's business practices. That's
fine and works for them. It doesn't for me whether you and I agree or not.
BUT...other than a few exceptions, it does NOTHING for the end user, and
that is my sole point when I bring it up in a post. You and I are big boys;
we know how things work on both sides of the issue ! We can each make
individual decisions on the matter. My posts are aimed at end user readers,
solely to give them the cautions that no one else seems to put out ! If they
choose to sign up that way, that is their choice ! But they should know
there are two sides to every story....

As far as your posts go, occasionally you make good points when you stop
spitting and snarling long enough to calm down and think about what you are
saying, and come back with facts and opinions and not just vindictive
commentary. We may never agree, but as long as you keep it civilized, we can
continue to discuss things. Go berserk, and I'll simply "plonk" you as not
worth bothering with. It really doesn't matter either way to me....

> Jeeeeze Bob,  is that a pointy tooth I see there?   Hmmmm, must be your
> wool is slipping.

RHC: Yeah...whatever....

Well, I have to get back to unlocking a load of 50 some boards that just
arrived this morning....ta ta.....
Oh, by the way, thanks for the opportunity to obliquely advertise my
services......

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada