Re: NiCE what Honeywell/Ademco has done

Mark, if you knew the guy that runs Paradox, you would know it is perfectly
believable that he told ADT he wasn't interested. While I don't normally
like dealing in rumours, this supposedly happened at a time when Paradox was
still in it's initial growth stage, and a smart businessman like this guy
would never overextend his reach that early in the growth of his company. I
suspect (although I have no way of proving it) that he couldn't come to any
sort of agreement with them based on a lot of factors, not the least being
their need for a volume that at that time, he couldn't handle. However,
rumour has it that he simply didn't like dealing with them for personal
reasons....but who really knows. Paradox has spend the majority of it's
early business development time selling overseas where no one has an
established foothold like the Ademcos of the world do in the USA. They only
now are starting to penetrate the established US market where competition is
stiff, and I gather their growth is slow.

Anyway, the end result is that ADT sales staff routinely tell clients that
the equipment is junk, and supposedly won't deal with it at all. This could
be due to hard feelings, but is more likely based on early experience they
had with pre 2.0 versions of the Esprit panels (which were junk, pure and
simple..). However, since I still have 10 Paradox panels monitored on ADT's
station, I do know they will monitor it (and why wouldn't they after
all....)

Paradox has only pulled one pure stupid move that I know of. Some years ago,
they produced a version of the Esprit panel which after one week in service,
could never be reprogrammed with any other receiver number. This was to
cater to several large mass marketers in the Montreal area. I have to wonder
how these customers are handling the 10 digit dialing that is going to be
mandatory sometime soon (guys, if you see these panels, simply change the
main eeprom for a later one from a scrap board, and the problem will
disappear)

IMO, the Magellan is simply their move to equal the competition in regards
to having a mass marketing panel available.

RHC