Re: Alarm systems w/o phone line

news:y4-dnaANSoOhihLfRVn-rA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > > Thats quite a large markup
> >
> > 27% is a real killing.  :^)
> >

> Yup, a lot more than most retailers get

Not even.  27% gross is on average low.  Of course it depends on the
business.  I actually have an education in busines.  Mom & Pop shops
typically try to get 35-40% gross.  Big retailers seem like they get less,
but in reality they probably only marginally get a lower percentage if at
all.  Because they pay less for product than the mom & pop shops, force
distributors to provide free flooring for product, and force manufactuers to
handle returns on a here it is basis instead of making them jump through
hoops like they do with consuemrs and mom & pop shops.

For very high turn rate products you can mark stuff as low as 20% and make
some money.  Also in some cases you can go with a low margin if its a
non-stock item for you.  ie special orders.

Anyway.  27% is not a bad markup at all.  Often bidding big jobs I run down
to about 25% on materials, but for small jobs, problem situations, or stock
off the shelf stuff I have to charge more.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com