Re: Just bought, am I getting a fair deal? Apex/Honeywell/Monitronics

Thanks for all the replies so far from No Wires Showing and Crash Gordon. I
just called Monitronics and they told me to call Apex. Apex said they
"couldn't come down on price for the quality equipment" they installed. I
then re-read No Wires Showing's first reply and I called Monitronics back to
deal directly with them, and if they'll take charge of my account instead of
Apex (hopefully for the $29.99) and they said I have to deal with Apex. Then
I read about the repair tickets just sitting there and that you could use it
for a "footrest". I also scanned the Google groups archive for Monitronics,
and there are some pretty dubious reviews of their service. I was told I had
state of the art equipment, but what good is it if as some post said that
Monitronics is not notifying people about alarms that go off?

Now, I don't know about ADT or other company's track records, maybe or maybe
not they have good or bad track records, but since I have to deal with
Monitronics right now, that's who I looked up. I told both Monitronics and
Apex on the phone just now, that Apex comes to your house, tells you you're
not going to get a better system or deal for this price, and the installers
are already down the street, and will be at your house in an hour, which
they were after I signed up, thinking, they need to make an appointment to
come out and install, and in that time I could do research if that's the
right deal for me. I told the salesperson, I'll sign up, and do my research,
and if I don't like what I find, I call them up to tell them not to come out
and save them from putting equipment in. But, again, after I assume that's
the situation, she calls the installer, and it has to be "installed tonight"
and if you want to put it off, you won't get such a good deal and will have
to pay for equipment, etc. if done later.  I thought "fine", they're not
giving me time to make an INFORMED decision, and if I cancel, and they have
to take their equipment back out, that's due to their haste. Since it's in,
and time limited, vs. making an appointment a week or so away to install and
having time to research, it's hard to find in so little time if this was
really the right thing for me. It's a shame some companies operate like
this.

So, I'm going out to fax the cancellation notice, has to be sent by
midnight. That way if I fax it from Kinko's or something, hopefully I get a
receipt that I sent it.

Another question: Since Apex removed my old ADT control panel and the
electronics box in the basement, etc., are they responsible to re-install
that for me? I would like to see if I could get a deal from someone else
since I'm already (or was so) wired. Again, thanks for all the help.