Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

> Well, as I say, it seems as if it's necessitated by the fact that
> you're dealing with people who still use an abacus. Up at the front
> line of civilization, people have discovered that a "puter" can be a
> tool.

No doubt about that however sometimes that puter isn't available,

> I presume you're talking remote download. I also presume that the other
> panels programing expedites the procedures by "group" options, rather
> than each and every individual option, as Napco does. This would also
> expedite status request and download speed. But, I can't imagine it
> being "that" much longer to be of concern.

Well a fully loaded DSC PC5020 may take 5 minutes to upload whereas a fully
loaded GEM P3200 may take double or triple that, not a problem if you are in
the field however on my end that's an eternity

> Again, I've got nothing to compare to. And the colors "are" funky, but
> that doesn't affect how it functions. I got the new windows version,
> took a rainy weekend day at the dining room table and learned how to
> use it. I thought it was kinda bad at the time, but ......... I'm
> pretty used to it now. Haven't tried V5 (5) yet. Just looked at it.
> Waiting for another rainy weekend.

By all means check out v5, it's much better than anything previous although
its still got a long long way to go

> Well yeah but so is the FBI XL2 and a number of other panels. But, I've
> always got my laptop with me so if it's dealer programing, I use the
> tool that I have. Why should I have to carry the customers file with
> the manuals with their programing, when it's all in the laptop.

I used to install XL2's and could hand program them in a couple of minutes.
I also take my laptop with the installation pdf's with me

> I doon ride no steenking by-seekel! Esspeshally no 40 steenking miles,
> Bro! An if I deed, I wont have no steenking phone wid me neeedr. Ya
> know Homey? An, an eevan eef I deed, no one ess goin to know what my
> number is anyways ... yeh. YO! Yoou got it, Bro?

Lol, funny thing is today I'm on a ride about 25 miles from home when my
cell phone rings....

> None of those things have ever happened. But, if I'm not instantly
> available,  .......I'm not available. When I get the message, I'll try
> to contact the client or download the panel or control reporting
> through CS.

I have to be available

> Regardless of "whoS" panel I was using, I'd never walk a customer into
> dealer programing ......... anyway. And why do others have these kind
> of problems and I don't, I wonder?

No idea why it hasn't happened to you, Depending on the panel I have no
problems walking them through a part of dealer programming as a last resort.

> > Besides, keypad program is designed into the panel, I see no reason
> why it
> > shouldn't be done.
>
> Only if someone is requied (like YOU) should that be necessary. If
> installers don't want to use these new fangled "puters", that's their
> problem.
>
> You can still use DOS to format disks, make directories, copy files,
> view files, change time and date ... lots of other things ........ do
> you? Windows is a tool, you use it, even though there's another older,
> more complicated method available. You may have to use it ......... I
> don't.

If it works for you thats fine, I'm just saying many times that puter isn't
available, most tech questions are for a minor problem that may require only
changing one or two locations, why download the panel when it's easier just
to walk em through it

> I'd say, to some extent, you're probably perpetuating keypad programing
> in your customers, by offering them your skill in kepad programing. If
> you didn't do it for them, they'd be out buying and learning how to use
> a laptop, in no time.

Could be, one never knows