Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

securitymiss...@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would like to hear from those who are interested in the issue of
NFPA
> (National Fire Protection Association) and the creation of security
> standards/codes: NFPA 730 and NFPA 731.
>
> I'm especially interested in whether you believe a codified standard
> consisting of protective mandates and installation practices is in
the
> best interest of the client and the security industry in general.
>
> For those interested in my personal thoughts on this issue, feel free
> to read it at
> http://tpromo.com/secmis-priv2/wp-trackback.php/247
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Colombo
> www.securitymission.com

No one in any profession welcomes any "agency" that wants to "regulate"
or "codify" their job. However ...it's is a well known fact, that any
"trade" that has been astute enough to regulate/codify themselves, will
forstall anyone else coming in and trying to do it for them. The
National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association has long touted itself as
the standard bearer of the alarm trade. It has failed miserably to be
anything but a good ol boys club. With regard to promulgating codes in
the alarm trade it has only succeeded in setting up yet *another* good
ol boys club with their "Quality Club" or what ever the hell they call
it. They had the means, opportunity and motivation to do it and they
didn't.

The alarm trade is growing and becoming more and more prominent in the
publics eye. It was inevitable that someone was going to do it if the
alarm trade didn't do it themselves. As soon as NFPA announced their
intentions, all the NBFAA could do, was decry NFPA's motivations and
threaten to do it themselves. Nothing has happened since that time.
(How many years ago was that?).

In order for the alarm trade to join the ranks of other trades, it has
to join on all fronts. If it wants to be recognized as equal in income,
salaries, and prestiege as other trades are, it has to also take
responsibilty for itself and be subject to the same scrutiny as other
trades and have rules and regulations that can be enforced. Many who
are presently in this trade presently, cannot be expected to actually
*** welcome *** this with open arms or without a whole lot of kicking
and screaming, but they should have read the handwriting on the wall
and taken it under control. Thank you NBFAA ......... for nothing.

This aint gonna be easy, but it was inevitable ...... it was within our
means to do it ourselves, and we didn't. Ultimately it'll be the one
final chapter in this trades evolution and will be the definitive means
for it's survival and acceptance in the world of construction and home
improvement. Many aren't going to particularly like what's going to
happen, but that's the breaks, ..... it is sorely needed and you had
your chance to fix it.

Take a look at what this industry was 10 or 15 years ago and the events
that have changed it in that time. Had there been some regulation and
codes, would we have ever heard the words "Free Alarm System"? Would
"BIG NAME  "dealership" be a means for anyone to "qualify" as an alarm
installation company? And would "two doors and a motion detector" be
called a "comprehensive, state of the art, security system"? Would
there be alarm systems that can be defeated by being torn off the wall?
Would there be cities curtailing alarm response because of false
alarms? Who knows for sure ...... but you can be sure that's the reason
we now need and and have needed enforacable guidelines. We relinquished
our well being to a bunch of big time known-nothings and they did
exactly what we demanded of them ......... nothing.

If anyone remembers Pogo's famous statement, I think he was talking
about the alarm trade.

The self proclaimed representatives of the alarm industry, the NBFAA,
have failed patheticaly and many of the present day participants in
this trade, will suffer the consequences of change. However, the trade
itself will experience the ultimate benefits of their heedless
indifference .... inspite of them and hopefully ..... without them.
They will not be missed.