Re: Just bought, am I getting a fair deal? Apex/Honeywell/Monitronics

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> You guys are all forgetting the cellular backup communicator.  I know what
> they cost to operate, and I know what they cost.  Considering the
situation
> I doubt this guy got a bad deal.  I know I wouldn't do a free wireless
> system with cell backup as primary communications for any less.
>
> One way or another you have to make money on every installation.  Either
on
> the installation or on the monitoring contract.  DO THE MATH.

You are right on the fact that, if you are in business, you need to make
money. In this senerio, Math isn't the question. This company is in the
market of selling contracts and not selling equipment. They are making
plenty whether the system was basic, had a few add ons or included cell back
up, because with every point of protection the monitoring fee went up, which
equals a higher price they receive for the contract. They sold the
monitoring fee and that is where their profit was, including the profit on
any additional equipment. It wasn't the coverage that was in question or the
monitoring fee, it was the program in its entirety, from the knocking on the
door, to the installer is just down the street, to the deal is not available
after tonight, to high pressure sales, to the companys reputation, to whose
going to service it, etc etc. We all know these type of programs and I would
like to know if you condone these types in the industry or did you just miss
the point due to this guys infatuation over low price. After all, after all
of his concern, he is letting his keyboard find him monitoring for $2.00 a
month and asking what we thing of this. I think he missed his own concerns.
He reminds me of someone who burns his hand on the hot stove and puts his
hand back on it again to see if it was really that hot.

> I have a few clients who are stuck on the free installation thing.  They
> have decent systems installed for free.  One fellow has three businesses
> with cell backup, and a varying degree of coverage and equipment.  He is
> paying several hundred dollars a month.  Even still it will be years
before
> I start to make back my investment in his alarm systems.

Difference: You, being a security dealer selling security, installed it. I
imagine you are servicing and maintaining it. You are monitoring it. You are
there for him when he needs you. You financed it, instead of peddling his
paper to someone else for your profit. You realize our clients are our
largest asset. This is how we build our businesses.

> Ultimately I am in business to make money and so is everybody else who
> installs alarm systems.  If we don't make money then we will quit.

Agreed and it wouldn't break my heart to see the paper peddlers, in this
business, quit and get a job at the Herald, the Tribune, the Times, or the
Enquirer.

Bob4Secur