Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

> > 10,000 into 8 years...
>
> Bob, I've been doing this for 28 years -- not just eight.

> > "and probably ten thousand to install their own"

This is the line from an earilier post you made, which I assumed (sorry),
that you where referring to about training  people on the amount of systems
since you were doing DIYers. "to install their own" is what led me to
believe that. I thought that was the 8 years.

> > I am in the wrong end of the business...
>
> Perhaps.  I spent many years building a decent account base.  I made a
good
> living but it wasn't as fruitful as guys I know who pushed "mini-systems".

Other than the bigs, where are these guys now? Most are broke and trying to
get back or are back in the business after they sobered up from a 2 year
hiatus.

> These days I put in just as many hours but I no longer sling a
screwdriver.
> I still get late night support calls but most are from strangers, "I just
> bought this house and it has an XL4600 'system' in it.  The thing is
> beeping.  What should I do?"  [sigh]

If they can't figure out how to unplug the transformer and battery, in that
situation, do you dare sell them a DIY system and expect them to put it in
without 1400 calls to your 800 number? And then again, that is what happens
when they have no obligation to you, but because ones name is out in cyber
space, they think you are obligated to help them and for free I might add.
Time is money and the ones that will tackle their own installs are doing it
in their **spare time** and not their business time. However, their calls
are your business, regardless of how simple or complex their questions and
what ever time they decide to call is just part of it. Being part of the
business, a value needs to be placed on it unless one doesn't value their
time. Three phone calls to talk someone through replacing a two dollar
contact doesn't make alot of business sense. Those are some of the
considerations to be looked at before entering that end of the business.

> > I should sell off my account base, get rid of
> > the overhead, take some of the money and
> > have a **monster** website professional
> > done and go for it...
>
> Have at it.  There's plenty of room for another competitor in the trade.

It may be one of those round tuits.

> But don't just expect the sales to come in as soon as you build the
website.
> "If you build it, they will come" only works in the movies.

Crawl, walk, run but it is easier when you don't need that weekly pay check.

> > There are a couple of little things that I would
> > do differently from the sites I've seen, but I'll
> > keep that under my hat for now...
>
> Me too.  My site works but it's constantly changing.  I'm forever adding
new
> products and features to the site.  It will never be "done".

I would hope not, might get alittle stale and out dated.