Re: Just bought, am I getting a fair deal? Apex/Honeywell/Monitronics

 I also scanned the Google groups archive for Monitronics,
> and there are some pretty dubious reviews of their service. I was told I
had
> state of the art equipment, but what good is it if as some post said that
> Monitronics is not notifying people about alarms that go off?

> Now, I don't know about ADT or other company's track records, maybe or
maybe
> not they have good or bad track records, but since I have to deal with
> Monitronics right now, that's who I looked up. I told both Monitronics and
> Apex on the phone just now, that Apex comes to your house, tells you
you're
> not going to get a better system or deal for this price, and the
installers
> are already down the street, and will be at your house in an hour,

This kind of tactic should have raised a flag immediately! Installers out
working at night, door knocking, etc etc etc. "Free" Six point systems with
two of them already existing! My suggestion is, Run Forest Run. These
programs are not meant to last. In many cases to keep the authorities, the
BBB, the regulatory agencys off their back they will close down and reopen
in another name. Sometimes dropping the parent (Monitornics) and then start
selling for ADT. We call it the seven month business plan. They will burn
out the area and move on. They are all the same. See how many Authorized
Dealers are in business for any length of time. Next to none. Here today and
gone tomarrow. They are all the same and the ADT's, Monitronics, Brinks of
the world will use them up as fast as they come and really don't care if
they go because the parent company is getting the contracts that are being
sold and they don't care where they come from and that is really all they
want. When an Authorized Dealer goes away there is another one ready to
start up. Instead of the parent companies out selling systems, they are out
recruiting dealers. The consumer is the one that suffers because they don't
know any different. Just remember the perverbial old cliche's, "If it is to
good to be true, it probably is. Or, "You get what you pay for" Or, "there
is sucker born every minute".  I am not trying to throw this in your face
Danny, but this is you and your family's security and life safety. Get
serious about this. There is nothing wrong with getting the best price on
quotes from two or three reputable local dealers that have a track record in
your community but don't fall for the "Free give away programs". They are
never ever what they appear. They are selling paper (contracts) not
security. The minute they walk out the door, that paper is sold to the
parent company for somewhere around a grand and in their eyes you are gone
too.

after I assume that's
> the situation, she calls the installer, and it has to be "installed
tonight"
> and if you want to put it off, you won't get such a good deal and will
have
> to pay for equipment, etc. if done later.

Oldest sales line in the book. If anyone from any where tells you this, you
are dealing with the wrong company. They know if they walk out without a
contract they will never get one from you. That is sales and it applies to
whatever is being sold. If they would have given you time to investigate the
situation, they know you would not call them back. Sales people have a
saying, "There is no such thing as a be-back". If they let you go, they know
you will not be back.

  I thought "fine", they're not
> giving me time to make an INFORMED decision, and if I cancel, and they
have
> to take their equipment back out, that's due to their haste.

In most areas there is a "three day right of rescision on any home
solitation".

> It's a shame some companies operate like
> this.

It is only the majors. How else would someone get 5 million customers (ADT)
unless they had everybody and their brother out pedaling their wares. The
other mass marketers have followed suit.

> So, I'm going out to fax the cancellation notice, has to be sent by
> midnight. That way if I fax it from Kinko's or something, hopefully I get
> receipt that I sent it.

Also send it certified mail, return receipt to both Montronics and Apex and
include a copy of the fax showing the receipt on the fax. The contract, in
the small print, usually stipulates how correspondence is to be handled.

> Another question: Since Apex removed my old ADT control panel and the
> electronics box in the basement, etc., are they responsible to re-install
> that for me?

Good luck even trying to get it back. If you still have it
they aren't going to do anything for you. They will be pissed off enough
because they have installed it and the contract is not able to be sold to
Monitronics or they will have to re-imburse Monitronics for a contract that
fell out if they have already been paid.

I would like to see if I could get a deal from someone else
> since I'm already (or was so) wired.

Maybe for the wiring but not the equipment. You will be asking someone to
take on liability for equipment that you or they really know nothing about
as far as its reliability.

Good Luck!

Bob4Secur