Noob question on Compass

I hope this isn't too stupid a question an if there is a better
refernce, please let me know....

I DIY installed an Ademco Vista 20P system for my home. All programming
was via the keypad and it went fairly well, but seems to be a bit
tedious. I noticed that the Compass software was available so I got a
copy and installed it on by XP windows box.

The first problem was the modem. I believt that the panel communicates
via DTMF tones rather than any standard modem protocol. A quick look at
supported modems sent me to ebay to get something old enough to work. I
got a practical Peripherals PM1200SA mini that was advertised as being
Compass complient.

The first question is about the 10 DIP switches on the bottom. What is
the correct setting for use with Compass?

Second, what is the modem type in compass or what is the correct AT
strings for this modem?

Third, the alarm is on the main phone line and the modem is on the fax
line to allow phone connection. Field *95 (ring count) with an answer
machine, downloading and no phone module shows a ring count of 15 (which
I set). My question is "how does a ring count of 15 byppass the answer
machine, when it picks up on the 4th ring?"

Forth (and last), *94 is used to set the download phone number, which I
set the fax/PC number. Does compass work by calling the panel, sendin
some info and then having the panel call the compass CPU?

Thanks for any insight (or pointers) you can give me.