Re: 11. Pro's "THINK", yes they do but is it reasonable?

 Depression is not fully understood, but a growing amount of evidence
supports the view that people with depression have an imbalance of the
brain's neurotransmitters, the chemicals that allow nerve cells in the brain
to communicate with each other. Many scientists believe that an imbalance in
serotonin, one of these neurotransmitters, may be an important factor in the
development and severity of depression.

PROZAC may help to correct this imbalance by increasing the brain's own
supply of serotonin.

Some other antidepressant medicines appear to affect several
neurotransmitters in addition to serotonin. PROZAC selectively affects only
serotonin.

While PROZAC cannot be said to "cure" depression, it does help to control
the symptoms of depression, allowing many people with depression to feel
better and return to normal functioning. [ See graphics below ]

:)

"Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
When fully effective, lithium can control manic-depressive illness for the
rest of a person's life. But it is not a cure. Like antihypertensive
medications for controlling high blood pressure, lithium should not be
discontinued without consulting the physician.

Unfortunately, some patients stop taking their lithium when they find that
it diminishes the wonderful sense of well-being they felt when hypomanic;
most resume taking their medication when disabling manic episodes return.

Other patients discontinue lithium because they feel they no longer need it.
Such reasoning is perfectly understandable. When a person remains well week
after week, there is a tendency to forget to take lithium or to deliberately
stop taking the medication, believing that the illness has been cured.
Lithium's effects, however, last only when patients regularly take the
medication. If patients stop taking lithium--no matter if they've been
taking it for 5 weeks or 5 years--the chances of having another manic or
depressive attack increase. In fact, patients who stop taking the medication
are just as likely as patients who have never been treated to fall back into
a manic or depressive episode.

This does not mean, though, that all patients must take lithium for a
lifetime. After a long period of treatment without a recurrence of mania or
depression, the doctor and patient may consider withdrawal of medication
under close supervision. That decision will depend upon several factors,
including the impact that a subsequent episode may have on the patient's
marriage or other significant relationships, career, and general
functioning; the likelihood that an emerging recurrence will be detected
early enough to prevent a full-blown attack; and the patient's tolerance of
lithium