Re: Another one for the books

> nor do all the heads pour buckets
> of water down at the same time.
> It only happens in Hollywood.

There is a type of sprinkler system which does that.  It's called a deluge
system.  Activate it and water sprays out everywhere.  I've only seen one of
them.  It was a huge warehouse in Farmington, CT.  They had a huge fire pump
and backup generator to provide the necessary water pressure.  We monitored
waterflow, pressure, primary and secondary power, etc.

BTW, this was a takeover of a huge ADT installation.  The client had broken
off from ADT for reasons unknown to us.  Neither system was functioning when
we arrived, though I don't think it was really ADT's fault.  These people
regularly broke things.  The burglar alarm was a muxed system with modules
installed all over the building.  Sensors had (IIRC) 6K EOL resistors.  We
replaced the burglar alarm with a Napco MA-3000.  I forget what we used for
the fire alarm.

Anyway, we installed the systems, fixed a number of problems with the wiring
and made frequent visits to repair stuff when they would hit things with
fork trucks.  After a couple of years some character talked his way into
doing a free "inspection" for them.  He told the client there were problems
with the alarms (which were functioning perfectly) and sold them on an
"upgrade".  They wound up with a single, combined bug and fire alarm
system -- which was not even rated for commercial fire.  They were slow
payers so I was actually glad to be rid of them.

Oh, by the way, the deluge system had been installed because the prior
owners of the building stored flammable goods.  The people who had it when
we got there stored computer hardware.  Imagine what would have happened if
that deluge system went off with a few million dollars worth of PCs on the
shelves.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass