Re: Napco Wireless Gem-PIR

jjsmd wrote:
> I am trying to use the Napco Gem-PIR with my 9600 board, and I have the
> following question:
>
> When motion occurs at my other motion detectors(wired) the board very
> quickly detects  zone Open and then zone Closed, and there does not see
> to be a period where the next motion is not detected for a period of
> time. In other words if someone is walking back and forth 4 or 5 times
> it will register Open,closed,open,closed,open  etc...
>
> On the other hand with the gem-pir after the first Open and Closed it
> seems to have a down time where the next motion doesn't register for
> quite a while. Is this inherent in the Gem-Pir , is it able to be
> modified?
>
> Any help appreciated.

Wireless motions will usually go dormant for about two to three minutes
after they've detected motion. Actually only the transmitters usually
go dormant but not the sensors. The following scene will demonstrate
how it works:

The PIR is sitting there for an hour and someone walks into the room as
a party begins. The motion detector, sensing them,  will trip once. For
the next 4 hours there is no time that the "detector" isn't sensing
motion. However, the unit will not *transmit* another open signal to
the transceiver for that whole period of time. At the end of the party
everyone leaves the room. Not until two or three minutes after the last
person leaves will the detector be able to send another open signal to
the transceiver. As you can imagine, if this weren't so, you'd be
changing batteries in wireless PIR's every week or so.