Re: Home Alarm and Vonage

Mike wrote:
> Yes, you caught me.  I've had my eye on a new set of pots and pans, why
> I don't know because I can't cook, and figured the quickest way to
> afford them would be to sacrifice the safety of anyone who entered my
> house/death trap.  I'll take extra caution to avoid buring the main
> course lest I recreate the scenario you've so dramatically depicted
> above, although part of my emergency escape instructions do include
> using my new weed-whacker to break the windows and run like heck .

Well at last!

The truth comes out. It was just written all over you.

Kidding aside. I hope you understand that most of the contributors here
are professional installers. All of us have seen the results of taking
short cuts with security and life safety. If you think of it as a form
of (tangeble) insurance, rather than an appliance, you may think of it
in a different light. You buy the best life and health insurance you
can afford, and hope you never have to use it. If an appliance stops
working when you need it......... well, you just get it fixed. With
security and life safety, it has to work the first time and every time
during the time that you need it. You don't want to find yourself
saying "Whoops, jeeez my house burned down, maybe I should have ......
" or " Golly dear, those guys that invaded the house today, while I was
at work, really beat the crap out of you. Maybe I should have
............" If you're going to have a security/life safety system,
allow for those contingencies that would devastate you and your family.
Other than that, you're only relying on a false sense of security, and
nothing to back it. If you really, really think about it, would you
rather have a working security/life safety system when you are home or
when you're not home? And then, in that circumstance, how reliable
would you like it to work?

Security systems are just that ........ systems. Made up of a hundred
working parts and relying upon numerous events and occurences, in order
to do it's job. Eash component has to work. (Choose quality equipment)
Each sensor has to work ( Quality equipment and proper placement and
application) *You* have to be totally familiar with the system ... and
USE it and test it OFTEN.  Communications has to be reliable ( Choice
of Central station, technology used, police response) So many things
have to work **just right** ......... and the failure of any one of
them can allow a tragedy to occur. Therefore, it pays to not skimp on
any part of it. From our point of view, as providers of this service,
it simply doesn't pay to short change the client or allow them to short
change themselves.

But ....... YOU make the ultimate choice and make the bet that a
tragedy ISN'T going to take place. Look at your choices. Evaluate the
odds. Consider the consequenses.

Unlike a card game though, you've got the option to reduce the odds of
failure.

OK, ........Go ahead. Place your bet.