Re: Troubleshooting Question

inline...

"Frank Olson" <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
news:qQBse.18136$El.17071@xxxxxxxxxxx
>=20
> "Crash Gordon=AE" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
>=20
> > A latching toner helps turn this into a one man job too.
>=20
> Agreed, but I wanted to offer a solution that didn't involve having =
the OP=20
> buy more equipment.  I always liked the "cheap fix" when it comes to =
DIY...=20
> :-))
>=20
I had a homeowner call me all pissed off because a three letter company =
was trying to install on my prewire and switches..he insisted that I go =
find out why none of the switches I installed the 2 days before were not =
working now. UH...ok. I couldn't stand his whining so I told him I'd =
come for free but if it was something the installing company did then =
he'd have to pay for my trip. So I get there and surefucking enough =
every one of my switches were coming up open. So, I asked a few =
questions...like how was this guy testing the loops? Did you hear him =
using a little toner or was it a real loud sound.. OH...it was a real =
loud sound - it was the siren. The siren? There's not even a panel =
installed yet!....Yes folks the guy was using the siren and a 12v 7 AMP =
battery to test the switches. Thank you very much...would you like to =
pay me for the service call now?...or have me install the system =
properly? UHHHHH.

>=20
> > Also with ohmmeter check for shorts to window frames or ground.
>=20
> Excellent point, "Crash", but I think a "ground" in a loop in a wood =
frame=20
> type house is a pretty "long shot"...  I'm saying it's possible, just =
not=20
> likely.  Mind you the OP hasn't mentioned where this system is =
installed=20
> either...  Hmmmmm!!!

Welp...we have wood frame construction here with strandboard over the =
sticks then foam then CHICKEN wire the chicken wire ends up being =
grounded and so do the aluminum window frames...so it happens here a =
LOT.

>=20
> I did have a customer bang a nail into a wall once (to hang a picture) =
and=20
> have the misfortune of nicking the wire to a motion detector on the =
same=20
> wall.  The unit powered down and the zone remained "open".  What made=20
> matters worse was that the installation was a take-over from another=20
> company's pre-wire.  That house was an outstanding example of how =
*not* to=20
> pre-wire for a security system, and the "right way" to troubleshoot =
because=20
> our service guy had the presence of mind to ask the question:  "And =
what=20
> have you been doing recently?".  :-))=20

I've had an entire house electrified once when the chicken wire (see =
above) staples penetrated the foam and right into the back of a single =
gang electrical outlet...I noticed I was getting jolted when I tried to =
remove and replace a bad switch. I called the builder, they sent =
electrician...who inturn called the gas company..you guessed it...they =
had to evacuate the family and a few surrounding homes...one little =
staple. The entire house was hot...every window frame was reading =
120vac. Very nice.