Re: DIY'er Questions - Any Help Appreciated

>I am in the planning stages of installing my own home alarm system and
> have some questions I am hoping some of the professionals in this group
> can help me with.
>
> 1. An alarm technician my company does business with spoke highly of
> Ademco.  From reading this group I know many of you use Ademco as well.
> Of all the current model Ademco's which one would be most highly
> recommended or conversely generally have the least problems associated
> with it.  I am currently researching the Vista 10, 15 & 20 but I
> don't understand the main differences between them.  From what I have
> learned I would need an Ademco 6139 or 6160 keypad to program any of
> these panels.  What are the main differences between these keypads?  I
> am more interested in whichever is easier to read and less confusing
> for my wife to be able to understand.

There's not much difference in terms of quality between the Vista-10, 15 and
20.  Each is intended for a different size job.  The Vista-20P (current
models have the "P") starts with 8 zones (sensing loops and can expand up to
48.  It's a hybrid system.  That means it will handle both wired (any brand)
and wireless (Ademco) sensors.

The 6160 replaces the older style 6139.

> 2. If not Ademco I am open to any suggestions regarding other systems.

Everyone has his favorite brand.  I'm partial to Napco mainly because I've
installed them for many years.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong
with Ademco though.  I sell more Ademco systems (to DIYers) than any other
brand.  People often ask for it either because they're familiar with the
systems or because dealers havw proposed to install an Ademco system for
them.

> My goal is to keep this system as simple as possible.  I don't plan
> to have the system monitored.  I am basically looking to know if
> someone has broken in when I am home so I can be ready to defend myself
> and my family.  If I am not home I'd imagine the alarm would likely
> scare most burglars away and I have plenty of neighbors who are almost
> always home who I would hope would make the call for me.

Whether you're home or not, most burglars will run when the siren goes off.
There are a few who are more persistent, of course, but there's some
question how much good a call to the police would do unless it's made very
quickly and the officers happen to be nearby at the time.

Don't get me wrong on this.  I believe in monitoring.  Done right it can be
a very worthwhile service.  I just don't happen to believe it is necessary
for everyone.

> I would however like the system to have the capability
> to dial my cell phone so I would know it had been
> tripped.  Is this something most panels would already
> have or something I'd need to add on.

Many modern panels can dial a pager.  Most can also dial a cell phone if you
substitute it for a pager.  What you'll get will look like a hang-up call
from your own house.  The weakness of self-mnitoring is you are unlikely to
be around at all times.  If the thief breaks in or fire breaks out while
you're away on vacation or somehow unable to get the message no one will
know about it.  Evaluate the risks and costs of monitoring vs. not doing so
and make your own decision.

> 3. In keeping with my intention not to have this system monitored, once
> the alarm is tripped how long is the typical cutoff time for the system
> to sound until?

That's a programmable option.  I don't like anything less than 4 minutes.
OTOH, more than 5 minutes and you run the risk of being tarred and feathered
by the neighbors. :^)

>  If memory serves me correct when my neighbor's alarm
> has gone off when he was not home his alarm sounded for around five
> minutes.  After this period of time is the system inactive, active and
> able to detect a different zone other than the one that was tripped or
> are all zones active again including the one that was tripped?

That too is a programmable option on many panels.  Some employ a feature
called "swinger shut-down" which allows the panel to ignore a faulty zone
yet otherwise remain armed after several false trips during a single arming
cycle.

> 4. Which systems (or which Ademco systems if any) have a voice alarm
> where when the alarm is tripped the system announces something such as
> "the police have been notified" or something similar.

There are voice siren drivers from Napco, Elk Products and others which can
alternately play a siren sound and a pretty convincing rendition of an angry
guard on a PA system.  I don't know whether that is more of a deterrant than
a standard siren.  What I can say is that it's still sufficiently different
that it causes a lot of folks to turn and look.  That's usually a good thing
during an emergency.

> 5. How do security systems differentiate a security
> alarm signal from a fire alarm signal?

There are different zones (sensing circuits) which are tripped by different
sensors.  The panel sees a violated zone, notices it's a fire alartm
condition and does its thing.

>  Is the same "audible tone" generated when
> either is activated or are they distinct?

Usually not.  Most siren drivers have multiple tones for different
conditions.  I'm running out of time so I'll add more to the subject later.
Hope this much helps.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass