Re: Some More DIY'er Questions

<nafhsuramai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
news:1120001060.509669.60490@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
| I plan on installing either a Vista 10 or Vista 15 very shortly.  The
| house is rather small and I won't be using very many sensors so it
| appears the Vista 10 may be all I need.  Can anyone talk me out of it
| and into either the 15 or 20?  Are there any reasons not to go with =
the
| 10?  Also can anyone break down for me the differnces between the
| models that end in SE, P or PS?

The SE is at the end of it's life cycle. You'd want the 10P unless you =
need more than 6 hw zones.
|=20
| On a different subject what are my options on installing keypads?  Are
| all Ademco keypads compatible with all panels?  Ideally I want a wired
| keypad on the first floor and I think I want it to be the 6160V.  I
| would then want another keypad in my bedroom on the second floor and =
if
| I understand correctly I can put a wireless keypad there.  Some of the
| keypads however advertise having a wireless receiver built in.  Would
| this keypad also need a wireless receiver to work?  As you can tell I
| am confused by this point.  And how about a recommendation on a second
| keypad.

You need at least one programming keypad 6160 or the V will be fine. =
Although I'm not 100% sure the V works on the Vista 10P..you'd have to =
check on that.

The RF keypads are not wireless, you're getting confused. The 6128RF =
6150RF etc are keypads with recievers for wireless built into them you =
still need to run wire from the panel to the keypad. There is a wireless =
keypad (no wires) but it has very limited ranges (I cant remember the =
model number). You can use a wireless keyfob kinda thing to =
arm/disarm/panic button thing from in the house and they have decent =
range. You'd need a reciever though.

|=20
| Also when it comes to wireless door and window sensors other than
| aesthetics are there any drawbacks to using those really small =
recessed
| transmitters versus the larger external ones (or vice versa.)
Yes, they have less range. What I have done in the past for people that =
objected to seeing the transmitters (but they really can be hidden =
pretty well) is install them in single gang electrical old-work cut in =
boxes below the window at outlet height and then blank plate them.

|=20
| Lastly I recall there being a post regarding Ademco (not sure if it =
was
| just the wireless ones) glassbreak sensors not being all that great =
and
| I believe the poster had recommended a better alternative (I believe =
it
| was Intellisense or Visonic.)  If one of these do they make one which
| is compatible with Ademco wireless?

I've not had trouble with any gbs that you mention, including the Ademco =
wireless ones.=20

|=20
|=20
| I appreciate your professional opinions as always.
|=20
| Thanks in advance!
|=20
| -Steve