Re: Pre-Wired Alarm System

bill.talbott@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am getting ready to close on a house that has already been prewired
> for alarm/cable/phone and was wondering what alarm system you would
> recommend.  I currently am using ADT at my current residence but was
> looking to go with a local company who provides monitoring as well.

Good. You'll be better off with a local, as ADT customer service is
horrible.

> This company deals primarily with radionics.

Be careful here. Radionics dealers are few and far between, and you'll need
a Radionics dealer to service your system, should you decide to change
companies later.

> Would like to be able to use voip (I realize not many systems are
> compatible), also have the ability to call a phone number if any alarm
> conditions exist (ie. cell phone or pager).

Forget about VOIP; get a POTS line for your alarm system if you're serious
about your security. Period.

> While I have your attention, at the first walk through of my new home
> I was talking to the building manager and apparently they are
> allowing a local company to come in and pre-wire ahead of time.  I
> asked him if I would be provided with a drawing of where the cables
> have been ran and he told me that the company that ran it will not
> give up that information.

They're not going to hold your hand, you can find the wires yourself if you
know how.

> Now if I'm buying a house, shouldn't it be mandatory that anything in
> the house is divulged to me?  This sounds shady.

Will the builder provide a drawing of the other systems in the house? Will
you get a detailed electrical schematic showing the exact location of all
wires? Will the plumber provide you a detailed drawing showing all pipe
locations?

The pre-wiring alarm company most likely doesn't HAVE a drawing. IF you're
lucky, the wires might be labeled. Any alarm installer will be able to find
them later. Well, maybe not ADT, P1, or Brinks. They'll just slap in a
wireless system anyway.
js