Re: Pre-Wired Alarm System

> You "might" get a set of builder plans IF
> you pay for it...but most tract builders
> will NOT give or sell house plans because
> they are kinda copyrighted and they don't
> want people building their own copys of
> homes.

I've worked mostly for homeowners (existing construction) and home buyers
(new construction) over the years.  If I had to guess I'd say maybe 5% of my
work has been for builders.  Yet I never had any trouble getting blue
prints, drawings, etc.  Where I worked (mainly southern New England), new
construction home buyers almost always had a set of plans or prints.  I
*assume* the cost of prints was always part of the purchase but I could be
wrong.

> Aside from that NO home plan is ever an
> as-built showing accurate locations of
> plumbing, electrical runs.

Prints I've used have rarely specified the alarm since I was there to
pre-wire it.  I always furnished the builder or the home buyer with a marked
up print or drawing showing the alarm layout.  This almost never included
wiring routes but it did specify where each cable was terminated.  YMMV.

> Unless, you're building a custom I seriously
> doubt you'd ever get accurate plans of anything,
> let alone the alarm prewire!...

For the alarm prewire only the cable *ends* need to be specified.  If you
know where the wires end, it makes little difference (most of the time)
where they were run.  This assumes, of course, that the wires are not
installed wrong.  :^)

> sheesh alarm installs are low man on the totem
> pole...who has time to make up plans when your
> prewiring a home for 400 bucks???

I never sold pre-wire jobs.  If I was on the job it was because we were
doing the whole installation.  Then again, I really didn't go after the
tract builder market.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass