Re: Looking to purchase alarm system - suggestions?

Frankie,
           Try to do just a little bit of research before slamming
nationals,or dealers for nationals. Price should NEVER be an issue in
security. QUALITY! This isn't a dining room set, or lawn sprinklers.
These people are looking for Life Safety Devices, and shopping on price
is not a wise move.

"Oh we've had Joe Blow Alarm Company for 15 years and never had a
problem. Whenever the alarm goes off they call right away"

What's wrong with that statement? Simple. Joe Blow's response time for
False Alarms is on the money, but Joe Blow's system falses too damn
much.

"Well my friend has a Joe Blow alarm system, and they never had
trouble"

Do we know if Joe Blow's system is functioning properly? Does Joe Blow
really tell his client's to test their system weekly? Does Joe Blow
jump zones rather than repairing faulty devices? It only takes one
incident to destroy a national's reputation but Joe Blow skates. Why?
Because Joe only has 200 accounts when the national has over half a
million. Nationals need to be right 100% of the time or they are
hammered by small dealers. Look at Bass. Think of the people he has
suckered over the years. No problems with some of his installs because
he jumped zones. You don't think Bass was ever referred to someone
because the existing sucker never had a problem? Bass isn't all by
himself in the shoddy business society. The difference is Bass was
busted time and time again in this forum, but I'd bet money to this day
there are people who still think their system from the local guy (bass)
still works fine. Wait until they find out that heat detector isn't
connected.

See if the Central station is U.L. Listed, and I.Q. Certified. Make
sure the installing company is also licensed & I.Q Certified.
As Jack stated 90 some odd percent of all signals are false alarms. The
I.Q. Certification Board's #1 goal is the reduction of false alarms.
Joe Blow Alarm Company can always offer a better deal than the next guy
because Joe Blow Alarm Company doesn't use quality equipment,
fire-rated wire, and doesn't answer to anyone. Joe Blow can use that
$2.00 per month monitoring station that ass nuggets like Bass use. Joe
Blow won't offer a client a system relocation. All Joe Blow can do is
tell you why someone else is no good. Fact is, if Joe Blow Alarm
Company was that damn good then Joe Blow Alarm Company would be bigger
than they are, and have awards to show just how much better they are.

Yap yap yap until the cows come home but the proof is in the pudding.

Stop advising people to eliminate choices with blanket statements.
Look at the post from RHC in this thread and see if you can spot a
problem with "local service".
RHC went on vacation (which is great.... more power to him) but who was
left minding the shop?
Someone who in his own words doesn't fully understand the industry.
What happened to any potential service issues during that time?  Who
took care of the customers? Was it someone who was fully aware of the
industry, and someone who knows how to handle any service issue?
How long should a customer wait until their system is functioning at
100%.
This isn't a pot shot at anyone Frank, but this isn't the Goodwill
Society either so if offense is taken so be it.
Most of us in this industry are in it to protect lives. How safe does
Mrs. Customer feel when her alarm is on the blink and that "reputable
local dealer" is 2,000 miles away wiping bugs off the windshield?
If the local dealer has another local covering for him then what does
that say? It says the installing dealer wasn't really the best because
another local dealer was just as good as him. Or does it say "well
customer, settle for second best because my one man show is on the
road"?
It's sad how "advise" (Canadian version) is spewed out about who is
good and who isn't when the bottom line is you don't really have a
fucking clue if you're right or not. Having a few beers with someone,
or trading emails doesn't make them a reputable dealer, nor does
someone listed on your website have a reputation that you know for fact
is good. All you do is spout off hearsay, and in this business that's
just irresponsible.
I've been a local dealer, and I've been a dealer for nationals. Were my
installers any better when we didn't have the national shingle?

(BTW - Fuck you Bass in advance for your future comments. I could out
install your slob ass with a Yankee drill, a dull bit, and both arms in
a sling).

I've cracked jokes about my installation abilities over the years but I
can guarantee you you'd be hard pressed to find someone you'd rather
have install or service your system than me or any of my techs. Mark
Leuck and I crack jokes about the millions of phone calls I've made to
him with questions but what we never talk about is the reason being
that I service DSC, Moose, AT&T, ITI, Ademco, Napco, DS, Radionics,
MyAlarm, and on and on and on. All of my training has been Baptism by
Fire. I don't sit back and read a manual so I can post answers in a
newsgroup. I get a call today for a panel I never worked with and by
tomorrow I have it repaired. And as Mark can also attest to I am not
alone in this area.

Do you think all locals immediately become inept once a national hands
them a shingle?

Rojas services for nationals and was also a dealer. Is he on the
"dark-side" of installers now? Bob Skinner was an ADT dealer. How
shoddy is his work? How about Bossman? He's a Monitronics dealer. Does
his work suck? Are his clients screwed?

How solid is your advice now Frank? How solid is your "atta boy Frank"
now RHC?
Stop bullshitting people already with your nickel and dime scare
tactics about nationals, and start worrying about your own credibility
because with the advice you offer you're both in desperate need of
some.

Don't like what I am saying? Remind me tomorrow to pretend I give a
shit.