Re: CO Detector Location Question

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:43:27 -0400, "Robert11" <rgsros@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Bought a Kidde Nighthawk CO detector and am a bit uncertain
>if the ceiling (like my smoke alarm locations) is a "good" location
>for it ?
>
>Surprisingly, the Kidde manual has a lot on where not to put it (dusty
>locations, extreme heat or cold, dampness, etc.) but nothing definitive on
>where are acceptable locations.
>
>Is the ceiling of a residence O.K. ?

Someone else already said this but they gave the wrong reason.  Mount
Carbon Monoxide detectors at "breathing height" -- about 5 feet off
the floor on a wall.  This will give optimum response time.  On the
ceiling they may take longer to respond.

Most detector manufacturers suggest placing the detector outside the
bedrooms so that sleeping occupants will be awakened.  You might want
to consider installing an additional detector in the vicxinity of the
source of CO -- furnace, gas hot water heater, etc.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/subcategory_256.htm