Re: Looking to purchase alarm system - suggestions?

On 12 Jul 2005 12:32:22 -0700, tufflaw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Just got a quote from Slomins - they're the only ones so far who have
>offered me a hard-wired system.  Full installation is $396 for 3 door
>sensors, 4 windows, siren, keypad, and motion detector.  I have to sign
>a five year contract at $25.45/month plus tax (about $27/month or so)
>after which I own the equipment.  Is this a reasonable deal?  Are there
>any benefits to hardwired as opposed to wireless?  The Slomins guy said
>the only reason to go wireless is if I had a lot of windows, it would
>be less intrusive to go wireless, but he said that the problem with the
>wireless systems is that over time the battery starts to decay and the
>effectiveness is reduced.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

That actually sounds like a pretty decent deal.  I'm not familiar with
their contracts, so make sure you own the equipment after the initial
term.  Read the contract and make sure there aren't any catches.

What brand is the equipment?  The installation is important as well.
Do they guarantee your satisfaction?  Is the wiring completely
concealed?  The only reason to use a wireless system is if you can't
hardwire it practically.  Many companies use wireless because it is
easier to install.  Wireless, if for no other reason than the
batteries, is inherently less reliable.  How many industrial/
commercial fire alarm systems are wireless?  Not many.