Re: Wireless - Simon 3 or Visonic Powermax Plus

Must be related to people out here :-)

Granted I've only come across a half dozen of Simon 3's and a couple of =
Monitronics ones, most of the residential Simons were installed on the =
kitchen wall next to the telephone outlet and not more than 3 feet from =
the rear sliding door to the backyard. The remaining ones were near =
garage entry doors if the telephone sni was on the exterior garage wall. =
Seems location may be dictated by proximity to phone line for ease of =
installation, not what's the most secure for the home.

One of them was located in an office warehouse not 12 inches from a =
window that would have been easy to jimmy. This one I removed and wired =
the place with a new system in under 2 hours...so it musta taken the =
original installer all of 30 minutes to hang, or should I say =
double-sticky tape it on. BTW if anyone wants this one they can have it =
if they pay shipping - it's the Monitronics one so I don't know if its =
usable or not, but I'm done playing with it.

"Bossman" <securitydealer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
| Coming to this one late, but a good real world example. Less than a
| month ago, a prospective customer, who had just suffered a terrible
| break in, losing almost everything, phoned me stating that she wanted =
| Simon 3 installed...today. Her son and daughter both had one, and that
| was the system she insisted on. Her home could have easily been
| hardwired, but she wanted the system that her kids had, because they
| had recommended that she get what they had, the Simon 3. She also
| wanted the panel located just off her kitchen, about 10 feet from the
| back door. I explained that it was a very bad location, and told her
| why, citing all the dangers and issues that others have already raised
| here. However,  she insisted I put it near the back door, probably
| because that's where her son told her to put it. I pleaded with her to
| allow me to locate the panel in a more remote part of the home, =
disable
| the siren, and use a remote siren and remote touchpad. She didn't want
| to pay for the remote touchpad, and wanted the siren on the panel to
| sound, just like her son and daughter's panel. Unable to convince her
| of the arguments others on this board have made concerning the dangers
| of self-contained panels, I gave into the poor woman and installed her
| alarm system.
|=20
| Exactly two weeks later, she had another break in, through the back
| door that was 10 feet from the main panel. The door was on instant, =
and
| the panel had no dialer delay. The panel was ripped off the wall, and
| both the AC wires and the phone wires were broken. The panel was =
tossed
| down on the floor. I have no way of knowing how long the intruders
| waited before attacking the panel. Nothing was taken, and the police
| were there in less than 5 minutes (for Dallas, that's a miracle in
| itself).
|=20
| When I went out to service the system, I again tried to convince her
| that the panel needed to be moved, almost insisting on it. But she
| absolutely refused to allow me to move it. It had worked perfectly for
| her, and she wanted nothing changed.
|=20
| Moral to the story...while I agree with all the theoretical arguments,
| I think the risks are greatly exagerated. It's much easier to cut a
| phone line, at your leisure before coming in, than rushing in and
| trying to beat a dialer. Wireless systems have their applications, and
| when properly installed work just as well as hardwired systems.
|=20
| Bossman
|=20