Re: Opinions

Paul,

There is nothing wrong with the thurough circuit test that you are doing
based on resistance. I think the best response was given by Marc or someone
who mentioned that Radionics Tech supt asked about voltages on the loop.

If you call and say the panel shows a violated loop and say you have checked
the circuit and its good. A voltage reading accross the circuit is a quick
way to double check. (Without meaning to offend, the average tech doesn't
know what the voltage is suppose to read so he can't guess or even lie,) now
he gives the voltage. Since he was not holding the leads and the wire, his
body resistance is not a factor.

Example. Take your favorite panel, with the EOL accross the zone, read the
voltage, open the circuit by lifting one leg of the EOL now the voltage
rises. Short the circuit and the Voltage falls to approx 0v.
Armed with this you can also see when the voltage rises above the value
shown with just the EOL then the loop resistance is above the value of the
EOL.

The magic stops when the Panel is broke and No voltage comes out of the
circuit terminals, Now you have to open at least one side of the circuit so
that you can eliminate the load as the possible cause.

But the beauty still is that you identified the status of the loop without
eliminating the circuit entirely from the control.

This does nothing to troubleshoot the suspect component, i.e. motion.
glassbreak etc.

decide for yourselves, nice chatting with you guys