Re: Tech question - interface between receiver and central station software

Dear Buco,

Yes indeed. Almost all monitoring stations do capture the test signal
sent. Most panels now use up-to hourly controls.

But if you have a more secure region that requires on-line telephone
control then you must use either radio networks (of which the initial
cost is expensive but the running cost is very low), GSM networks (of
which the initial cost is low but the running cost is high) and telecom
switchboard monitoring (of which as far as I recall is only valid in
A-traq).

The radio network can be used as a primary or backup to the telephone
system. This is ok with UL. The GSM is very similiar to the radio
network yet much expensive if chosen as a primary communication. The
best is using the telecoms software to monitor any phone problems. This
information is passed on directly to the monitoring station and all
costs a forwarded to the user rather than the monitoring station. This
is not mentioned in UL but is used quite frequently throughout Europe.

I hope this does give you some idea of how test signals are captured
and what the precautions can be.

Good-luck!