Re: job coordinator/scheduler?

"JW" <golf4nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ilmze.5345$zA.3279@xxxxxxxxxxx
> HI,
> We currently have our installers also act as project managers. It's nice
> because it gives them more control and keeps them in the loop with all
> facets of the project. They do their own scheduling and coordinate with
> sales reps, customers and sub-contractors. They have in-house support for
> some tasks but still have a lot on their plates.
>
> We're looking at assigning an in-house person to help with the
> scheduling/paperwork. How do most of you handle this? In theory, it would
> seem to help the installers work more efficiently - but I wonder if it
> doesn't often result in duplication of effort? The scheduler has to call
> the installer to verify and then the customer and then confirm to the
> installer, etc... does throwing another person in the mix streamline it -
> or make it more cumbersome? Would appreciate any experiences/ideas  you're
> willing to share to promote efficiency/productivity.
>
> Thanks!

If you're going to assign the responsibility of scheduling jobs and service
to a single individual you need someone that's immensely organized and
"polished" in dealing with end-users/customers (no you can't have our gal -
she's worth her weight in gold/diamonds and she knows it).  He/she will
become the "focal point" of your service department.  Your sales staff will
provide the contracts and other "hard copy" install/service orders.  It's up
to the scheduler to keep these organized.

We schedule work an entire week in advance.  On Monday mornings we have a
service meeting where the guys hand in their paper-work from the previous
week and pick up the stuff they need to do in the current week.  Problems
they've encountered during the week and suggestions for improving things are
also kicked around at that time.  The best crew is also awarded their prize
at that time and honorable mentions from customers are passed on as well.
For every "honorable mention" we kick in a $20.00 cash bonus and the
guy/crew with the most at the end of that week also get a dinner and a case
of their favorite "brewski".

In addition to scheduling jobs, your scheduler will also have to keep on top
of the ones in progress.  This requires daily feedback from the field so
that problems that may require additonal parts or hours are dealt with at
that time.  We have two service "floaters" that can pick up the slack on
installs as well as deal with the regular service issues that crop up during
the course of the day.  We rotate the guys on service on a weekly basis so
everyone stays "sharp" and on top of their game.  We use a scheduling
software package that was custom designed for us.  It keeps track of hours
on jobs, service labour, cost per man/hour, parts, etc.  It also tracks
feedback from the field so we can print out a synopsis of current work in
progress and know exactly where our guys are, what they're working on, and
whether-or-not we're actually making money on a specific job.