Re: Monitronics monitoring assigned to Apex

I've told two separate buyers when they approached me that I have no
intention of selling, either now or in the near forseeable future. That will
be a decision my son and I will make some time in the future. They offered
up some quite creative ways to buy the business - I was actually very
surprised. It was very much a "win win" situation. As for the rest of your
comments, I do see the business logic in what you say and I HAVE seriously
considered these points before. I didn't get into this business with my eyes
closed !  I made the decisions I have made with full knowledge of this
conventional logic when I wrote my business plan initially. But knowing
where the accounts will likely end up one day, I am not in the least bit
concerned.

BTW, for the record, there were no confidences broken when I learned of the
attrition rates I spoke of. Here in town, small dealers go in and out of
business like you and I change our underwear. It was during the course of
taking over a customer from a 10 account independant dealer that had gone
south (literally) for the winter, and who had left his accounts without any
service whatsoever, that I learned of this fact. I have been approached by
several other small dealers with a view to buying their accounts. But that
too doesn't fit within my business plan. Why would I buy accounts from a
small dealer who puts in poor quality troublesome installations (these
dealers anyway), and who doesn't have the "where with all" to know where he
is going in his business from the very beginning. My business partner owns
his own company with about 375 monitored accounts, and we have discussed
various options such as amalgamation, me buying him out etc, but nothing is
firmed up in that regard. His installs are superb, most of which were
actually installed by both he and I together when we actually worked for
each other in a mutually beneficial way. Whatever we decide to do, it will
be mutually beneficial to both of us....

As I slide further away from the actual installation and service end of
things, I'm working on a couple of other ideas that are somewhat unique and
potentially very profitable with several small high tech development
companies. At the moment, I'm not in a position to discuss this in a public
forum, but if it pans out, it could change the shape of current monitoring
quite drastically (actually, I had to sign non disclosure agreements with
both companies). If anything comes to be, a contract will mean very little
anymore - mine or yours. If it doesn't...well, I'm no further behind (and a
lot of these small high tech companies come and go like alarm
dealers...their "death" is in the implementation of an otherwise good idea)

So, to end this thread, if your concern about my business is genuine, I
thank you. If it's only to keep the thread going with a view to "winning"
your viewpoint, don't waste your time. As I've said many times before, you
do it your way, and I'll do it mine. End of story....

PS: You might tell Jim (Alarminex) that Dove soap is great to wash his mouth
out with....:))) I'd love to have a civilized conversation with him; we
share a lot of common feelings on gun control...

Regards,

RHC