Re: Looking to purchase alarm system - suggestions?

On 7 Jul 2005 21:27:13 -0700, tufflaw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hello, I'm trying to purchase an alarm system for my home, just
>starting to compare vendors but I'm not really sure what I should be
>looking for.  I've spoken with two so far, Protect America and
>Honeywell.

Some facts they may not tell you...

Almost all alarm calls are for false alarms - well over 90% of the
time the police get a call for a residential burglar alarm it turns
out to be false.  Because of this, many police departments have
stopped responding to non-verified alarm calls.  Those agencies who do
respond, assume that the alarm call will be a false and it gets lowest
priority.  Most of the alarms are caused by users failing to turn the
system off in time, faulty equipment, bad installations, power surges
etc.

Poilce departments have started charging false alarm fees, sometimes
running hundreds of dollars.

Typical police response time is 30 minutes or more in many locations -
if they come at all.

If you want a system, get three quotes from reputable companies in
your area.  Who's stickers and signs do you see a lot of?  Talk to
your neighbors.  Who do they use?