Re: Dog Door Security - Please Help

On 8 Jul 2005 19:20:56 -0700, briansgooglegroupemail@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I have a dog door that medium sized adult can squeeze through.  Well
>the other night a medium sized adult tried to squeeze through it.  I
>woke up before the person was in the house and turned all the lights
>on.  By that time they had already jumped the fence.  In any event,
>this makes me very nervous.
>
>The dog door is in a small laundry room which has a pet immune motion
>detector in it.  The motion detector did not go off because the person
>had not yet stood up.  I don't think they had fully entered the room.
>In any event, what besides a motion detector can I do to secure this?
>Frankly, I am considering boarding it up and living without the dog
>door.  But other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Being in the industry, if I had this problem I'd contact the dog door
with a wide gap contact and set it up as an alarm point.  I'd attach a
RFID tag to the dog's collar and use a long range reader to shunt the
contact when the dog was approaching the door.  Anything other than
the dog would cause an alarm if the dog door was opened.