Re: Looking to purchase alarm system - suggestions?

tufflaw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just got a quote from Slomins - they're the only ones so far who have
> offered me a hard-wired system.  Full installation is $396 for 3 door
> sensors, 4 windows, siren, keypad, and motion detector.  I have to sign
> a five year contract at $25.45/month plus tax (about $27/month or so)
> after which I own the equipment.  Is this a reasonable deal?  Are there
> any benefits to hardwired as opposed to wireless?  The Slomins guy said
> the only reason to go wireless is if I had a lot of windows, it would
> be less intrusive to go wireless, but he said that the problem with the
> wireless systems is that over time the battery starts to decay and the
> effectiveness is reduced.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Not TOO bad. Most monitoring in this Slomins area, from independent
dealers is somewhere around $18.00 to $20.00 per month. Anywhere from
one year to 5 years.

With what you are getting on the install, it looks like they've just
spread out the balance (of what you would normally pay up front for the
complete job) over the 5 years with a little tacked on for their
 "loaning" you the money.

Here's what I consider the down side. In my area,the people who usually
install for Slomins are people who were former sub contractors or
people who haven't been able to hold jobs with independent dealers or
make it on their own in business. Here, there are literally hundreds of
independent alarm companys and every installer, who's got any talent at
all, is working with companys who have customers lined up waiting for
intallations. The people who can't hold jobs with these companys,
usually go to work for Slomins. Secondly, I've been told that you'll
find that service is rather slow coming from Slomins, should you
require it in the future. And, of course, you'll never see the same
person twice. On the other hand, Slomins has gone into the top ten
largest US alarm companies in a relatively short number of years. So,
they have to be doing something right. Just watch out for anything that
sounds like the words FREE. Because you know that you're paying more
for it than most people would, if they paid regular price.

As far as wireless goes, a wired system is better but not for reasons
you'd suspect. Reliability of a wired versus wired system is just about
equal, if both system are installed to the highest quality. But a well
installed wireless system is going to work better than a poorly
installed hard wired system and vice versa. The two disadvantages of
wireless system are, you have to change batteries in the transmitters
every 3 to five years. ( not too bad)and ..... The most difficult thing
to reconcile is that in about 10 years, if a major component fails,
it's possible that the mfg has discontinued that product and there are
no compatable wireless components available. You'll have to replace all
the hardware with the latest wireless system. Hardwired system with
future problems, you only have to replace the failed component.

Advantages are: wireless requires very little disruption of the decor
of your home to install it. If you make sure the equipment you are
having installed is expandable, wireless can be added to, very easily,
in the future, should you decide to increase the scope of your system.
Hardwired no. In my opinion, wireless systems are less suseptable to
lightning damage also. Hardwired systems tend to experience more damage
when they are hit. There is one disadvantage to wireless that has more
to do with the method of installation and not the equipment. Wireless
systems have procedures to follow that will allow an installer to check
the field strenth of the transmitters so that they or the receivers can
be placed at the locations that will provide the very best reception.

Unfortunately, many installers that I've come across, just simply
install the system and if it works ....... it works. If there's bad
reception on a transmitter, they adjust it and just leave the rest of
the system alone. That is, every other transmitter could be one degree
off losing contact ......... and they just leave it that way. I've
experienced that this usually takes place with companies who sell the
"free" or discount systems,...... as the installers are usually under
pressure to install as many systems a day, as possible. And ..... they
are not usually the ones who get the call back for service. But, in
some cases, it's just laziness or ineptness on the installers part,
regardless who they work for.

What disturbs me about your post is that the Slomins salesperson lied
to you about wireless battery decay making wireless systems become less
effective. All major mfgs wireless systems have transmitter low battery
alert, with at least 30 days advance notice. This can be reported to
central station, also. So, if someone with a wireless system can't
change their battery within 30 days of notification ( and notice
remains on the keypad every day)then, that's the only way it could
cause loss of effectiveness. And at that point it's the users fault.
Why the salesperson would feel he had to lie about that simple matter,
makes me wonder. Considering the fact that Slomins has literally
THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of wireless installations installed.

Hmmm, I wonder..?