Re: DVR Cards

"J. Sloud" <jsloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mktoc1189ro9lbuioq4pdpoq1cu8h4dhms@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:20:30 -0400, "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >"J. Sloud" <jsloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >an
> >>
> >> Who you gonna trust... GE, Bosch, Pelco or some crap you've never
> >> heard of?
> >>
> >I find the best way to learn things is to experience them. If you're
using
> >anything with an OS, then you have little to no experience with real
DVR's
> >in the real world. There's more to this business that buying a unit based
on
> >cost and plopping it on a desk somewhere. I'm betting, like the rest of
the
> >Industry has to offer, only about 3% ever even gets installed, or used
> >correctly.
> >
> >Hang in there J. Everybody has their place.....
> >

> We typically use embedded systems like a  Bosch Divar or GE SVDR or
> DVMRe for smaller applications.  Larger systems, like an airport for
> instance (since one of our posters thinks they all still use VCR's),
> probably would benefit from a server/ workstation/ client/ recorder
> configuration such as Verint.  I'm no fan of Windoze-based DVR's.  In
> addition to being inherently unstable, we've found many units to be
> prone to network worms, especially when the IT dept. doesn't include
> the machines on regular update because they are not "their" boxes.
> Even the PC based boxes that will show a 4 CIF picture still do not
> compare to a live shot from an embedded unit.

I would have to agree with that. I'm not a big fan of Operating Systems in
control, especially MS. The GE DVMRe unit's fit about 95% of my installs,
and the device is a rock solid performer. It's what I use in my Central
Station for Video Verification. I know they're not going anywhere, and you
know Kalatel's history. When you tell me something is embedded...it gets my
attention.