Re: Looking to purchase alarm system - suggestions?

<tufflaw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm trying to purchase an alarm system for my home, just
> starting to compare vendors but I'm not really sure what I should be
> looking for.  I've spoken with two so far, Protect America and
> Honeywell.
>
> Protect America has a basic package on their website for a wireless
> system with a control panel, keypad, motion detector, three sensors,
> and siren.  It's free but I have to install it myself, and the monthly
> service fee is $30.  They offer a lifetime warranty on their equipment.
>
> Honeywell offered me a package for a wireless system with a control
> panel, keypad, siren, three door sensors, four window sensors, two
> fire/smoke alarms for $795 (they install, obviously), with a service
> fee of $20 per month.  There's a one year warranty on their equipment.
>
> Obviously the initial money put down is much cheaper for Protect
> America, but a few things I didn't like were their sales tactics and
> that their plan wasn't really specifically tailored for my house.  They
> dealt with my strictly over the phone.  Honeywell sent a rep out to my
> house and he put a plan together after going through the house.
>
> After several years I'll end up saving money with Honeywell, but money
> isn't the sole concern obviously - I want to keep my family as safe as
> possible.  Any thoughts on these offers / companies from people
> familiar with them?
>
> Also, I'm meeting with a rep from Protection One next week, so any
> thoughts on them as well would be most appreciated.  Thanks!!

Look through your Yellow Pages for the name of a recognized "local" Dealer
(someone's whose signs/stickers you see in a lot of places).  Check them out
through the BBB or your State/Provinicial Alarm Association (some would
consider membership in either or both is a "plus", but that's not
necessarily so).  What you're looking for is someone with a reputation for
quality and service (not necessarily the lowest price).  Talk to your
friends and neighbors to see who they use or recommend.  Call in a couple of
the better locals and compare what they have to offer against the Nationals
you've already talked to.  I think you'll find almost 80% of the time that
doing business with a local Dealer is better (there are some of Nationals
that have branch offices that are a "cut above" as well, but you really have
to "dig" for them).

Remember to "do the math".  When you look at the installed price of a
system, make sure you own the equipment and the cost of same isn't factored
in to the monitoring price.  For instance, we're a Canadian company that
does a lot of fire alarm system monitoring.  We supply and install a ULC
listed communicator (which the customer owns outright) and monitor the
system for $15.00 a month.  Cost for the install varies between $550 and
$800 depending on the degree of difficulty in running the necessary cable.
Our cost on equipment is about $450.00.  Our competitors are charging about
$1400.00 a year for monitoirng (which includes an equipment lease price)!!
When most property managers are shown the math, it takes very little
convincing to switch 'em from "the dark side"...  :-))