Re: why ground an alarm panel.

Ahhh, the controversy continues.

Lightning will always look for the path of least resistance to ground.
If you do not provide a path with a ground connection, then it may find
one through current sensitive devices such as door contacts.  I would
rather have a positive indication of a lightning strike (extra service
revenue) and replace a fried panel than trying to figure out what other
devices went bad in a floating system; or worse yet have a burglary miss
due to a frozen contact from a lighting surge.  Most reed contacts when
hit by lightning will weld closed, thereby not providing an open on
alarm.  Make sure to check ALL window/door contacts when there is any
suspicion of a lightning surge.  This is another reason for dealers to
provide annual inspections to your customers.

Also remember that if you do ground systems, you must check ground rods
as in sandy areas such as Florida the rods can glass-over from lighting
surges, thereby creating a glass insulator.  I would like to see a panel
someday that did a reference ground check to make sure the ground rod
was still good.  How many out there meggar old ground rods?  Zero......

Also, remember that the manufacuter's installation instructions call for
a ground to be made.  If for some reason you have a performance
liability issue down the road with the install, this could come into
play since you did not follow the manufacturer's guidelines for doing a
correct installation.  I know there are many reasons to 'float' a ground
connection on an alarm and many have proven that the risk of damage to
the panel is less;  however some may want to think of the issues
mentioned above.  There is a good reason why the ground lug is provided
on alarm panels.

BobbyD