Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment -- Truce?

petem wrote:
> Jim
>
> from what I can se is that since bass is not what he used to be,your now
> jumping on Mrs Campbell.
>
> I for one think that long term contract that renew themselves at the end are
> a fraud..just like him...

And so do I.

That is, regarding  the self-renewing contracts, without notification
to the end user. Anyone who has my contract is notified 30 day's prior
to renewing and has the option of cancelling.

> I know that for some reason like a lower price upfront for the user make an
> INITIAL contract ok,but as soon the contract is done,it should just go and
> renew itself every day or at least every week..so that a client is never
> stuck on paying something he doesn't need anymore..

And can I assume that you own your own business and have another source
of funds for your retirement? Or are you an employee with a pension
fund?  In other words, small dealers/company owners who've been astute
enough and worked their businesses successfully for a long time, are
eventually going to sell their accounts. I've been in this business for
over 35 years. If I couldn't depend upon the return I'm going to get
from my accounts for retirement, All I'd have to sell when I opt out,
is "goodwill". Which, in any kind of a small home inprovement business,
is hardly worth two cents. So you'd say that a small alarm installation
business owner should give up his retirement stipend? Why would/should
he do that, when he can legitimately offer his clients term contracts
that will bring him some reward at the end of his career?

> like if a house burn down and wont be reconstruct before months,if someone
> have a 1 year contract he has to pay for the rest of the contract even if
> there is nothing to protect,and that's a damn fraud for me.....

Petrum, if you took a 5 year loan out for a brand new car and totaled
it a year later, do you think the bank is going to forgive you the
difference?  You made an agreement to pay the amount due but it's not
contingant upon you using the car, keeping the car or wrecking it.
That's why you have insurance. No matter what, you've got to pay off
that loan. Sure, in this example the car has a value that the bank can
always repossess, but ...... the point is, an agreement is an
agreement. No one "forces" a client to sign a monitoring agreement.
When they sign it, they can imagine that conditions might change during
the term, but they'll sign it anyway. So time passes and either by
choice or fate, their conditions change. Who's fault is that? The alarm
companies?

> I don't understand how he can make profits by not asking a cent on service
> call,but that's another story...
> fine with me if he do make a living out of it...

What EVER he does should be and is fine with everyone. Why would anyone
object to how a person runs his own business?  I couldn't care less. If
that's what he want's to do ..... fine. THAT's not the problem and as
dumb as what he does, may sound to others, he'll do it regardless of
what others think about it.  It's his obsession with feeling that he's
got to  **** INFORM **** end users who come here, that companies that
offer term contracts are defrauding the public. And that they should
look for companies that are not trying to scam them into signing term
contracts. That's misleading ..... because 99.9 % of alarm companies
require at least a one year agreement and saying it's a scam is
defaming all those companies .

Leasing and service contracts and monitoring contracts have been around
since the late 1800's, in one form or another. It's a legitimate aspect
of doing business. Lawn sprinkler companies, lawn care companies,
cleaning companies, heating companies, etc, etc, etc have contracts,
why not alarm monitoring? When people sign a contract they're aware
that it's a legally binding agreement and that they don't have to sign,
if they don't want to. I do agree with you on the automatic renewal
part, but that has to do with the state or area that the transaction
takes place. It's up to the lawmakers to take care of things like that.
 I think that's real sneaky. Who's going to remember a year or more
later that they have to cancel anything? On the other hand, when ever
the credit card companies come at me with their deals of sending me
something or giving me a service for free for 60 or 90 days, and if I
don't like it, all I have to do is cancel it. ....... I simply refuse
it if they wont do away with the automatic continuation. If there are
people out there who know agreements are automatic renewal and they
don't refuse it or know it and forget to take the proper action, you
can't blame the alarm company. Only if the alarm company doesn't point
it out to the client.

Now THAT's a scam! And I'm sure it happens. Now if Bob C was warning
end users who come here about THAT, who could object?