Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

> Chris, good on you for taking the trouble to clean up and I'm sorry you've
> had such ridiculous replies from what normally tries to be a helpful and
> sensible newsgroup.  The person who lectured you on steam/smoke is an
> ar**hole.  Smoke detector technology basically detects anything that isn't
> the usual mix of gases we call Air, so burning the toast, taking the lid off
> a saucepan, opening a gas oven door, having a steamy shower or even a good
> old fart can all set off a "smoke" detector.  :)
>
> My best advice is you should tell the person in charge of the fire alarm
> (the facilities manager?) what you are planning to do and that you're
> worried you might set off the alarm.  He should be thankful you have the
> common sense to ask first.  That would be much better than him finding
> you've been mucking about with the system yourself, or for the Fire Brigade
> to turn up to find you in your Mrs Mop outfit.
>
> Usually individual heads (if it's a modern digital system) or a particular
> zone can be temporarily disabled at the alarm panel.  The heads can be
> unplugged (usually like a bayonet-type light bulb) to clean or replace them,
> but DON'T try doing this with the system still active as it will set off the
> alarm.  The FM won't be too happy while part of the premises is unprotected,
> so this needs to be for a very short period and he may want to get someone
> to supervise you.
>
> If you want to risk it, you can certainly cover the detector heads with a
> plastic bag to exclude the water vapour, or even better, use a plastic glove
> (I thought that was a great idea) but remember the alarm is still active and
> covering up the heads doesn't guarantee you won't set it off.  Then you'll
> be in hot water as well as steam!
>
> Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your advice.

I take what people say on newsgroups with a pinch of salt!

Where I live - it's very understaffed. People complain all the time.

People have been fined for using hairspray! (has triggered smoke alarm)
It's insane.

Deactivating the smoke detector is not an option (especially over
christmas as the place is even more understaffed than normal)

I will just cover it somehow