Re: why ground an alarm panel.

You said " Need I also cite the specific NEC requirements that connect
that third prong to building's safety ground? "
I think that was what he was looking for.  Nomen said,
"Would you please cite a code reference for this?"

You said "that third prong"
but the standard non-X10 transformer that Ademco ships with has two
screw terminals, neither of which connect to the ground prong.

You said " If an appliance connects directly to AC power, then it must
have a safety ground.  "
but the typical alarm panel connects through a 'wall wart' AC
transformer, not directly to AC power.

You said "you apparently do not understand"
You are correct, I do not understand, and it looks like others do not
as well.  Hence the interest in seeing specific code references.

Thanks, I am learning a lot through all this.