DSC British Gas Home Security system

I recently bought a flat which had a British Gas security system fitted
already. My guess is that this is about 3 y old. The whole system seems
to be complete with wireless sensors in every room and one device
attached to the door. Having read through previous listings i can see
that it is usually a re-branded DSC that BG use, and that BG don't
give out the master codes for installation. In fact on the inside of
the LCD control paned there is a discreet 'DSC' in the corner.

Installing a security system that will only sound if there is a problem
(ie without necessarily linking up to a monitoring centre) will keep
the wife happy. As I want to save in paying for a complete new system I
was wandering if anyone could let me know if I can make use (or part
use) of the existing hardware.

For instance is there a way of me finding out the master code for this
system without subsidising BG's already over inflated profits?

Or, if ripped out their LCD control panel and replaced it with a new
DSC one, would it work with the rest of the hardware?

Many thanks and happy holidays,

Stef.