Re: Convert CCTV to Digital

anthony.clendenen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am open to any solution.  My main points are to get the image storage
> up to the office so that if the store gets broken into they don't take
> the video with them and to get it to a digital signal.  Currently there
> is only the one BNC cable that is going up to the office so I was
> hoping to avoid having to run more cable and just use the one cable
> coming up to the office.
>
> Would it be possible to have the cameras connect to some kind of
> multiplexer that could send the video wirelessly up to the office and
> then to a DVR card?

The problem is, a multiplexer by definition takes the separate signals
and provides a combined output, so even wirelessly, the MUX output would
be the same as with your single cable.

You could always replace the cameras with wireless versions, but that's
expensive.  If you really need to put the DVR somewhere else, extending
the existing cables is your best bet.  At that point, if the only thing
you're worried about is theft of the recording device, you could just
move the MUX and VCR upstairs.  The other option would be to secure the
recorder in its current location... either hide it (I've seen several
places hide them inside a T-bar ceiling, which isn't great because
they're really dusty places), or lock it in a heavy-duty lock box....
something like these:
http://www.cableorganizer.com/computer-cabinets/security-lock-box.htm
http://www.2mcctv.com/index-DVRandVCRLockBox.html
http://www.123securityproducts.com/vcrlockbox.html

(or just google "vcr lock box")

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0551-2, 12/20/2005
Tested on: 12/21/2005 10:33:09 AM