Re: James Bond Credit Card Lock Picks

Lockpicks are not something that should be freely available for obvious
reasons. Many state legislatures feel the same way. That issue really has
nothing to do with locking boards. Those who sell restricted tools with no
control may in fact be breaking the law (although with todays wide open
internet, it's not likely they would ever face any kind of retribution,
which is probably exactly why they are able to get away with it....)

Simply unlocking a board has nothing to do with the availability and sale of
restricted tools ! Even if the unlocking of a board could in fact be
contributing towards theft, it doesn't fall in the same league as
distributing tools that could cause potential public harm. In most
jurisdictions, if you innocently buy a product from someone who is selling
it second hand, and you buy it truly believing it to not be stolen, and it
subsequently turns out to be indeed stolen, you still own it. No third party
can be held responsible for the acts of someone else if they purchased the
goods innocently. I suspect the same legal logic would go for unlocking a
stolen board as long as the party doing the unlocking didn't suspect it was
stolen (although that only deals with the legal perspective, not the moral
one....).

Sorry Jack, I can't explain it any better than that even if you see some
irony in it.

RHC

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html