Re: Elk M1G for Rehabbed House

> I have been looking into security panels for a few months and really like the Elk M1G (sys4 package), but am not 100% sold on it.  I would like the ability to have a fairly extensively automated home eventually (a/v, lights, door latches, etc).  So, my first question is, would you go with the Elk M1G?

Yes.  I'm installing one in my new (to me) home, but I'm also an Elk
Products dealer.  :^)

> My next question moves on to what I should install for a basic system. We have [lots of windows & doors]...

The usual method is to install magnetic sensors (called "contacts") on
the exterior doors and accessible windows.  These are simple switches
that remain closed as long as the magnet is nearby.  When the door or
window opens the magnet moves away, the circuit opens telling the M1
Gold control panel that there's a problem.

Magnetic contacts come in many shapes and sizes to fit almost any type
of window.  Better brands include Sentrol, Ademco and GRI, among
others.

> What contact should I use for these?

The choice will depend upon the specific windows you are using.  Most
hollow vinyl and aluminum windows have limited space to insert the
magnet so you may have to use a miniature, surface mount.  Most wood or
wood core sashes can accomodate the magnet easily enough.  There are
several new "rare earth" contacts which employ a very small magnet not
much bigger than a shirt collar button.  These can be very useful in
tight quarters.

For most interior doors, you can use a 3/8" diameter, recessed contact
such as Sentrol's model 1275.  If the door is a steel fire door, such
as the one between the house and the garage, you can use a wide gap,
surface model such as the Sentrol 1285TW.  If the local fire marshal
approves, you can substitute a recessed steel door sensor such as
Sentrol's 1078C.  Because you'd be making a hole in a rated fire door
you should get approval first.  Most won't care but some can be a pain.

I also like to bug the roll up garage doors.  Sentrol's 2202AU works
well for this application.  Although it's designed to handle floor
mounting, I like to put them above the door where rakes, shovels and
other implements of destruction won't snare the wires.

The Elk M1G will allow you to program a different delay period for the
overhead door, followed by a shorter delay on the inside door to the
house.  Not everyone agrees about protecting the garage door but I
believe it's a good idea to keep the bad guys outside the perimeter,
including the garage.

> I'd prefer something not visible, unless the visibility really adds a lot to deterent...

There is some disagreement as to how much value visibility has.  You
have to weigh the deterrent value against WAF factor*.  IMO a few
well-placed window stickers will be more obvious to the thief than a
tiny magnetic sensor inside a window.

> Also, is there a good way of alarming the skylight?

If your skylight is up a long "well" you can protect it with a motion
detector.  There's a neat little "SPY" motion detector made by a
company called Visonic which can be placed inside the skylight well.
It's extremely small and fits in a small hole in the drywall.  As long
as it's down far enough not to get direct sunlight on the detector's
surface that should work very well.

If the skylight is glass you could install a glass breakage detector in
the room.  The better ones can cover a 25' radius.  This is another
subject where there is debate though.  Some installers hate glass break
detectors.  Some use them all the time.  I've installed lots of
IntelliSense (now part of Honeywell) glass breaks with pretty good
results.  They can false if there's a really intense thunderstorm
directly overhead though.  Also, glass break detectors are not
considered 100% secure.  Changes in the room (new furnishings, heave
drapes, thick carpet, etc., can reduce their effective range.

> It doesn't open and each pane is too small for human entry (plus they would drop into the middle of the staircase).  I'm not sure what to do about motion detectors as we plan to be getting a 100+ great dane and already have a 65 pound shepherd mix (and a cat ).

The motion detector that I mentioned above won't be affected by the
dogs unless they can jump up into the well of the skylight.  It's more
of a pinpoint protection device when used in this manner.  Other than
that, with over 165 pounds of cainine running loose I would forget
about using motion detectors.

> One additional consideration pertains to the front door.  We have a small entry way (3'x3') immediately inside the house with another, decorative door inside.  Should we also arm that second door? ...

No.  Just bug the outer door and if that's your primary entry point
install a keypad in the little foyer.

> We want to install a system that will be very effective both occupied and vacant, but aren't in a position to invest in the most robust system currently.  I want to plan for the future but protect today, if that makes sense...

The Elk is a modular system.  You can install what you need now and add
features and expansion devices as time and budget allow.

> Is there anything I have missed? Or should I say how much have I missed?  I debated a motion light in the back yard/alley, but have seen many suggest that it is a waste of money.

Motion lights are probably not much of a deterrent.  For one thing,
most break-ins happen during the day.  Also, most thieves probably
already know what they are.  The benefits of a motion light are
convenience and a better "feeling" of security for the family.
Presumably there have been cases where would-be thieves have been
thwarted by a simple motion light.  But I doubt they make that much
difference.  Use one if you like having a light come on when you go out
there at night.

> I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone can offer insight on even one of these areas, I'd be most appreciative.  Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon.

No problem.  One purpose of the newsgroup is to share questions,
answers and opinions about things like this.  Your query is on-topic
and welcome.

BTW, I mentioned several brand name products above.  Those are examples
that may work for your application.  There are lots of competing brands
that are also very good.  I sell these brands (and quite a few others)
online so I'm not entirely without bias.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com