Re: FLAME: Robert Bass, you big Meanie!!!!

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> fix·a·tion  Pronunciation Key  (fk-sshn) n.
>
>    1. The act or process of fixing or fixating.
>    2. An obsessive preoccupation.
>    3. Psychology. A strong attachment to a person or thing, especially
> such an attachment formed in childhood or infancy and manifested in
> immature or neurotic behavior that persists throughout life.

flame   Pronunciation Key  (flm) n.

1. The zone of burning gases and fine suspended matter associated with
rapid combustion; a hot, glowing mass of burning gas or vapor.
2. The condition of active, blazing combustion: burst into flame.
3. Something resembling a flame in motion, brilliance, intensity, or shape.
4. A violent or intense passion.
5. Informal. A sweetheart.
6. Informal. An insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger, as
on a computer network.

v. flamed, flam·ing, flames
v. intr.

1. To burn brightly; blaze.
2. To color or flash suddenly: cheeks that flamed with embarrassment.
3. Informal. To make insulting criticisms or remarks, as on a computer
network, to incite anger.

v. tr.

1. To burn, ignite, or scorch (something) with a flame.
2. Informal. To insult or criticize provokingly, as on a computer network.
3. Obsolete. To excite; inflame.

Phrasal Verb:
flame out

To fail: ?Only a handful of companies have flamed out in the two decades
since the birth of the [biotech] industry? (Rhonda L. Rundle).

[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman flaumbe, variant of Old French
flambe, from flamble, from Latin flammula, diminutive of flamma. See
bhel-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

truth   Pronunciation Key  (trth) n. pl. truths (trthz, trths)

1. Conformity to fact or actuality.
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
3. Sincerity; integrity.
4. Fidelity to an original or standard.
5.
    1. Reality; actuality.
    2. often Truth That which is considered to be the supreme reality
and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence.

[Middle English trewthe, loyalty, from Old English trowth. See deru- in
Indo-European Roots.]

Synonyms: truth, veracity, verity, verisimilitude
These nouns refer to the quality of being in accord with fact or
reality. Truth is a comprehensive term that in all of its nuances
implies accuracy and honesty: ?We seek the truth, and will endure the
consequences? (Charles Seymour). Veracity is adherence to the truth:
?Veracity is the heart of morality? (Thomas H. Huxley). Verity often
applies to an enduring or repeatedly demonstrated truth: ?beliefs that
were accepted as eternal verities? (James Harvey Robinson).
Verisimilitude is the quality of having the appearance of truth or
reality: ?merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic
verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative? (W.S.
Gilbert).