Re: need unbiased advice about lynx system

"Jason_Schaitel" <jason_schaitel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> greetings all,
>
> I just bought a house last month (that was a foreclosure) and has a
> lynxr-en security system. I would like to use it but I am not sure that
> I want to pay $33 a month for ADT or someone to do the monitoring. We
> also don't use a home phone and use cell phones, so the only reason to
> get a home phone hooked up would be to enable the security system. I
> called ADT today and they said to call them back once I had home phone
> service connected.
> I am new to this all because I have never has a home security system
> and anyone I talk to like ADT will have a vested interest in me
> activating through them or something and not giving me the strait
> unbiased story. It seems to me I should be able to use this system
> without having to have it monitored. I can use the family message
> feature, the feature that turns on appliances or A/C electrical on a
> timer (very handy for christmas lights in a couple months) and local
> alarm alerts if there is a breakin or someone leaves the door open,
> etc. The rub is, from what I have read, that there is an installer code
> and a master code, so it looks like I can't just reset it and start
> from scratch like I was able to do with the garage door opener and its
> access panel outside.
> So am I kinda stuck? does the company that installed the system and
> previously monitored it have the install code and master code and the
> system is pretty much worthless unless I sign up with them and have
> them unlock it all and give me a master code? I can live without it and
> I an not sure I want to spend $33 a month for ADT and another $30 a
> month for Sprint local phone just to have the system working. But it
> would be cool if I could use some of the features.
> Any advice or input is appreciated.
>
> Jason

ADT should be able to come out and program the system as a "local" for you.
You'll have to pay the service charge though.  As a local system, I would
suggest that you ask the ADT tech to change the installer code back to the
system's default.  That way, you can pick and choose your monitoring
provider when (and if) you decide to hook up a hard line.  Good luck!!!