Re: Wireless receiver - computer problem?

> I used to be a commercial broadcast engineer and
> there were lots of amateurs who would ask for
> professional advice. I never minded. Guess it
> depends on the person.

I've also been on the amateur side of things.  Years ago the
pastor of my church asked me to fly two angels as part of our
annual "Passion Play".  I agreed as long as I would have the
final say on safety issues.  I'd done some theatrical work and
knew how to secure dynamic as well as static loads above the
stage, but this was going to be a challenge.  The "angels" were
teenagers and I didn't want anyone to get hurt.

I checked the library at UCONN, looking for a good textbook on
controlling the movement of live actors in the air.  There wasn't
anything available.  Next I contacted a man who did lighting
design (my primary theatrical interest) for the Crystal Cathedral
in LA.  That's a huge church with a renowned passion play and
Christmas presentation.  Both had flying angels at times so I
thought he could help.

He referred me to the man who did their work for them -- a
respected professional in the trade named Peter Foy.  I called
Mr. Foy and his secretary gave me his cell phone number.  I
called him and he offered to do our project for us.  His fee,
unfortunately, was more than the entire budget for the play.  I
explained we weren't in a position to hire him but asked if he
would mind sharing some advice.

He offered to help me plan my setup, free of charge.  He gave me
an equipment list and even suggested vendors who could supply the
needed hardware.  He spent about 30 or 40 minutes on the phone
explaining things to me, knowing full well that I would not be
hiring him.

Later I realized who Peter Foy is.  He flew Bette Midler in
"Witches" (I think) and did countless others, including "Tarzan",
"Peter Pan", etc.  I followed his instructions and our angels
flew beautifully for several seasons until I moved away.  As an
amateur (DIY) in theater, I'll be forever grateful to a very kind
professional.  So will about a dozen or so kids who flew over our
stage, their parents who watched anxiously and over 20,000 people
who came to see our play during those years.  It's one of the few
things about New England that I miss.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com