Re: Alarm systems w/o phone line

No, once again, you twist the words to suit your own purpose (gotta remember
to block your stupidity on this PC as well....)

Free market forces will ultimately determine what rate levels are tolerable
for consumers. At the beginning, prices will be high, both because of those
who choose to gouge, but mostly because of the economics of scale. Over
time, prices always go down, as demand increases, output volumes increase,
and the economies of scale coupled with competitive market forces drive
pricing downwards (simple Economics 101 in case you didn't get that far in
school....and the oil industry notably excepted). However, there will always
be those in every industry who gouge, and even try to artificially justify
it through claims of better service or what have you. That doesn't make it
acceptable !

Clearly there is an acceptance of unneeded long term contracts in the market
place. If there wasn't, most dealers like you would be out of business, or
have a much harder time of it. And the ADT's of the world simply wouldn't be
able to survive in a world where consumers would never tolerate outrageously
high prices and poor service, and would reward them with astronomically high
attrition rates (even higher than they are now). Thankfully, the growth of
the $10 direct to end user monitoring is rapidly growing in the market
place, which hopefully will put some of the needed pressure on our industry
to clean up their act. Or conversely, it could actually make it even worse,
with alarm dealers feeling they need even more the reassurance of long term
contracts to keep their clients from migrating to lower cost sources.

Ultimately, it will be consumers who will force the industry direction. But
don't worry ! You're pretty safe in continuing to do so. However, this says
more about the poor shopping practices and raw stupidity of the buying
public than it does about the correctness of this industry position.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com